New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Z this weekend, what do i look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Z this weekend, what do i look out for?

Im about to buy a 98z28 pretty soon, its costing em 6grand and has 108k miles, though the guy has recipts of a GM replaced ls1 at 75k on the clock and a brand new a4 both replaced 3k miles ago also.but anyways, what do i have to look out for? i already know i need to cut the rear rotors (been reading the other threads lol warped rotors nice) and the thing squeals when it runs (new belt i guess), and another thing the passenger window goes down 50% of the time and the driver is slow anyways. what are the costs of new rotors and pads for the rear and window motors and a belt? if anyone knows. also what do i look out for? thanks guys happy to finally have an ls1 again.

Last edited by skymarauder; 08-25-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not..sure brake pads..for the rear and the front on mine..i think i payed $200..but i got pretty good ones...you can check some vendors for the rotors i know window motors..are pretty pricy like $150-200 new...but you can ebay those...I'd look out for all the major stuff make sure the engine isn't knocking or ticking. Check all the fluids park it in the driveway after you drive it to make sure nothing leaks out. Check and make sure when you get to the guys house..the car isn't already hott and warmed up this sometimes means theres...problems on the initial Cold Start. I love that when i go to look at a car and the cars pre warmed up..i usually just say...if you can't let me start this thing Cold..i don't even want to spend time looken at it and Leave.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by skymarauder
Im about to buy a 98z28 pretty soon, its costing em 6grand and has 108k miles, though the guy has recipts of a GM replaced ls1 at 75k and a brand new a4 also, since the replacement the drivetrain has an additional 3k on it. but anyways, what do i have to look out for? i already know i need to cut the rear rotors (been reading the other threads lol warped rotors nice) and the thing squeals when it runs (new belt i guess), and another thing the passenger window goes down 50% of the time and the driver is slow anyways. what are the costs of new rotors and pads for the rear and window motors and a belt? if anyone knows. also what do i look out for? thanks guys happy to finally have an ls1 again.
window motors are about $55 a piece at autozone.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Teching In

i got to start the car after it sat ina garage for a 3 months, i know the guy personally and hes selling it for his friend, told me everything about it and i would belive him too. i worked with him on cars last year at a deaelrship so i think i can trust his word.

is it easy to change a serpentine belt on an ls1? i could do it in a matter of seconds on my mustang 5.0
Old 08-25-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can change the serpentine belt on an LS1 very quickly, no trouble at all.