Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need help: How to permanetly disable VATS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help: How to permanetly disable VATS?

So...turns out that the brain of my alarm was fried(aftermarket alarm) I started cutting it out......All of the wires and all the bullshit that the previous people had installed.

Well, everything turns on fine now, but the engine won't crank over. Yea, security I think. That HAS to be it. Noc licking, no nothing. battery is fine, everything else is fine, it ran a few hours ago until I decided to get kung foo on the bitch. Anyone know which wire/what to do to permanetly disable VATS so I can get the ***** running again?

Can HPtuners delete a code that will fix it? Thanks folks.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

hp tuners can disable the vats system. i forget what color the wires are for the vats..
Old 08-27-2005, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
hp tuners can disable the vats system. i forget what color the wires are for the vats..
How? Whats the code?
Old 08-28-2005, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

drop the dash, coming off the ignition cylinder are two wires that are housed in a plastic tubing, i wanna say the pastic tubing is orange...maybe, i can't quite remember, but just make sure there not airbag wires. make sure thesse two wire are hooked up. all the vats systems really does is sense a certain resistance(hense the resistor in our keys) and tell the bcm the key is there.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:15 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Did you check first that you didn't just take out a starter bypass that was running though the aftermarket alarm system? Many alarms do that to disable the car if the alarm is tampered with. It would be an amazing coincidence that the VATS system (which is part of the BCM) was working and suddenly quit at just the time when you decided to take out the alarm.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Did you check first that you didn't just take out a starter bypass that was running though the aftermarket alarm system? Many alarms do that to disable the car if the alarm is tampered with. It would be an amazing coincidence that the VATS system (which is part of the BCM) was working and suddenly quit at just the time when you decided to take out the alarm.

Well, I knew it was because I cut something. Get what I mean? So I was just going to disable it, I knew it didn't just randomly mess up.... Thanks for the help, I guess I can go check for that ignition tube thing..

If it turns out one of the wires is cut....How do I know where to hook it back up? LOL.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Normally the alarm will have been spliced into the starter circuit at the base of the steering column. Look for wires there that have been cut and connected to wires that are different colors (i.e. wires from the alarm system harness). Remove the added wires and reconnect the original wires by matching the colors. Usually there will be a relay or two connected to the alarm system starter kill so that may help you find where it was interrupted.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Korben
Well, I knew it was because I cut something. Get what I mean? So I was just going to disable it, I knew it didn't just randomly mess up.... Thanks for the help, I guess I can go check for that ignition tube thing..

If it turns out one of the wires is cut....How do I know where to hook it back up? LOL.
I reread this thread and I think you're confusing VATS with a starter interrupt. VATS is the system that checks that the correct key is in the ignition switch when the car is started. The factory VATS system would not be involved in any way with an aftermarket alarm unless it also had a remote starter. In other words, cutting out the aftermarket alarm wires wouldn't have affected the VATS system in any way. It would however, have involved any starter kill wiring that was part of the aftermarket alarm. That's what you need to look for.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:18 PM
Teching In

the alarms are usually hooked in series with the large gauge yellow ignition wire there should be two open yellow wires that need to be conected to each other. if the vats wire is cut it is a very small gauge white wire actually two wires stuck together with a small two wire black connector