Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

2-post Asymmetrical lift or 4 post-rack??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-post Asymmetrical lift or 4 post-rack??

Well we are hopefully rebuilding my garage at my house and I plan on putting a lift in. But I am kind of indecisive on what kind of lift I want to put in. So I did some pro's and cons of each but I would like to hear what you guys think.

2 POST

Pros
- easier to get wheels off and work on suspension stuff.
- a little cheaper in the long run

Cons
- My car is pretty low and I dont want to have to jack the car up to get it on the lift arms.
-doesnt seem as sturdy/safe as a rack.

4 POST

Pros
-car drives right onto the ramp, a lot less work to get up.
-Sturdier to store cars under (peace of mind)

Cons
-Harder to get the wheels in the air and off.
-Would need to get expensive jack to lift car off ramp(heard they are fumbly bumbly as well)

Im no expert on this, because I have never really had experience with lifts, but this is what Ive seen so far. Any suggestions are appreciated...Thanks.

Chris

Last edited by 92CamaroReallySlow; 08-28-2005 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

my dad has a 2 post sitting in our old garage waiting to be installed in the new garage. I can let you know how much ground clearance a car would need to have in order to avoid having to be jacked up first once it is installed (couple more weeks.) However I dont think that will be an issue for you.

here's our new garage. Its almost done now the only thing left is landscaping and putting in the lift
Old 08-28-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slowscott
my dad has a 2 post sitting in our old garage waiting to be installed in the new garage. I can let you know how much ground clearance a car would need to have in order to avoid having to be jacked up first once it is installed (couple more weeks.) However I dont think that will be an issue for you.

here's our new garage. Its almost done now the only thing left is landscaping and putting in the lift
Yea that would be cool...I figure I have about 5 or so inches to work with, maybe more if im lucky.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

2 post just my opinion i have used a 4 post and use a 2 post at the dealership i work at . i definately would go with the 2 post lift even know u might have to jack the car up to get the arms under it
Old 08-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Banned

Also, you need to consider your base foundation if your going to think about a 2 post. you need at least 5 inches of cement below where you need to drill the holes for the lag bolts that hold your lift up. if you are not sure or have anything less than 5 inches, then it is a safety hazard and quite frankly, you'd be stupid to buy it and find out later. Go find an inconspicuous spot in your floor and drill it and measure it (If you dont know the actual depth, that is. ) We've set up 2 2-post lifts and 2 4-post lifts and I would vote for teh 2 post over and over again for simplicity of operation, timeliness of construcion, and overall flexibility for use and stability.

On a side note, I have a Eibach pro-kit and I have to jack up my car until I can slide the lift pads under and set them up so they don't hit my factory ground effects. On a non ground effected car, I've put a LT1 with Sportlines on the 2 post with no jacking.

IMO, if you are looking to get the most out of a lift, and your money of course, go with the 2 post.

BUT!!!

A 2 post lift is NOT intended to hold vehicles for long periods of time like a storage lift (4-post), and if left on a lift for long periods, i.e. suspension swaps or something where you cannot lower the vehicle again until you get more parts, YOU WILL CAUSE THE CAR TO SAG! AND NOT JUST UNI-BODIES!We've seen it time and time again where long term project cars have door fitment issues and body panel fitment issues because they sat on a 2 post lift for extended periods of time. Case in point, a 55 Bel Air at a local bodyshop has been in the rebuild process for two years, and all the body panels -USED- to fit flush. Now the doors are showing signs of sagging out, and the front clip NO LONGER FITS LIKE INTENDED!

In reality, you have to ask yourself what you really need a lift for. If its for storing your toys, then by all means, do the 4 post. But if you want somewhere to work, you are better off with a 2 post.

Last edited by Reed2000BlackLS1; 08-28-2005 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We will be building the garage from the ground up and we will have a really strong base, so thats not to worry. I want a lift for working on the car mainly. But honestly I do not want to mess around with jacking it up to get the pads underneath. But I would also want to occasionally want to store a vehical underneath it. However I am leaning towards the 2 post. Everyone of my friends who are in that field have recommended 2 post lifts. Maybe I should get both...lol.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking the same thing. Get both. If you are doing brakes or anything with the wheels off I would want a two post. Then you don't have anything in the way.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

We have both, too bad they are used for storage thogh.

In the end we end up using the 2 post for just about everything.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:08 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you looked at this type of lift. You have to navigate to the scissor lifts, the Space Max 700. Here it is in my garage. I have since moved the garage door opener out of the way and the car goes up high enough to let me roll around under the car on a desk chair. The lift itself can lift up over 6 feet in the air like other lifts, my ceiling is too low.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm I think i just solved my own problem...Wha do you guys think about this. It seems to be exactly what I need.

http://www.asedeals.com/two_post_pad_lifts.html
Old 09-04-2005, 12:33 AM
TECH Junkie

BJM, how hard is it to work on the drivetrain with that style lift. we are building a garage soon and are trying to decide on what type of lift to get.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:45 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
BJM, how hard is it to work on the drivetrain with that style lift. we are building a garage soon and are trying to decide on what type of lift to get.
If you look at the one photo in my garage with the lift fully up you can see bolts holes in the end of each pad. A 3/4"x 2" bar normally goes across there to synchronize the two side. It is the only thing crossing under the car and once the car is up in the air and both sides are sitting on their locks you could actually remove it. In reality I have never had to move it since I can just put the car up the other way around if I had too. There is a least 36" between the pads so there is plenty of room. You can wheel a transmission jack down the middle.

Some good features, floor thickness and strength is not a concern since the load is spread over such a huge area. I can easily move the lift single handed using an engine lift since the two halves move separately and the ramps at the front and back come off. Best feature of all, you can get rid of the ramps completely and put the lift pieces into the floor so they are flush when its down. There would be nothing at all in your way when you were not using the lift. I plan to do that myself at some point myself. They are only 9.5" thick when lowered though.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

this sounds perfect for what we want. thanks for the info. so you can easily move the lift out of the way? that sounds nice, that way we can use the area for other things when we don't need to work on the cars
Old 09-04-2005, 10:41 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

It bolts to the floor so just make sure you use bolts that go into inserts in the floor so nothing is left sticking up. I never actually move mine.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Question for you guys. Would it be safer to store vehicles on this type of lift compared to a regular 2 post lift with the arms? Also do you think there would be clearance issues when driving over the ramps?

Old 09-20-2005, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

how about this one ?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46299
Old 09-22-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like said above you don't want to store a car for a long period of time on anything that will have the suspension unloaded. It needs to be stored sitting on all four tires. I have notice from working with many different style lifts that you probably will not be able to get your car on a cheap 2 post. My TA sits kinda low and it will not get on a lift that uses screw type pads such as the harbor freight lift and other cheap lifts. The only lifts I have been able to get my car on are Rotary lifts. The pads are very low. If you have to you can always lay some 2X12's in the floor and drive up on them before you set the rack. If your going to work on the car you need a 2 post, if your main concern is storage get a 4 post.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:50 AM
Restricted User

I prefer to not the suspension hang free, so I look forward to a 4 post, preferably without the crossover beam. Although I would love to add a 2post as well.

Quick Reply: 2-post Asymmetrical lift or 4 post-rack??