Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e build questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 02:57 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l80e build questions

Ok, so I have managed somehow to smoke the almighty 4l80e......again So this time I am going to beef it up a little. My question is what hard parts usually get upgraded in the buildup of an '80?

Does anyone on here have the low gearset in an '80? I am seriously considering going that way. Actually, I am gonna do it, unless someone has a compelling reason not to do so. My planetarys are bad anyways, so I figure this would be a good time to try and get some of my launch back that was lost with the 4l60e.

The guys at PTC say the low gears won't work with the stock PCM because the ISS sensor will cause it to go into limp mode when it senses a gear ratio that it doesn't recognize. The guys at TCI say it will work no prob. Anybody on here ever actually used the low gears in a computer controlled 4l80e?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't used the lower gears in the 80e, but would love to have them in mine. I really just miss the 3.08 first gear. You can cryo treat all the metal parts, and the input shaft can be upgraded. That is what I did with mine. Not sure if anyone is doing sun shell or not. I am curious if you could change the gear selection on the stock computer. May want to email ken from ls1edit or one of the hp tuner guys. Let us know if you do it and if it works on the stock computer.

Quick Reply: 4l80e build questions