Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Remote start disabled on viper 791?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start disabled on viper 791?

Ok I just purchased a Viper 791 alarm and I took it in yesterday to get it installed. My car is a manual and the guy at Best Buy said that the only way he would install it was if he completly disabled the remote start function. He said that he couldn't even leave the wires for the remote start unhooked. For some reason he didn't want me to be able to hook it up myself. How could he possibly disable the remote start? Oh and by the way the only reason I didn't go somewhere else is because of my employee discount. So alarm guru's please speak up. Thanks.

Robby
Old 08-31-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take you're car somewhere else. best buy sucks. take it to circuit city, much better at installs. that is a good alarm take it to a real pro. dude when it comes to alarms don't dick around, much more difficult with pulses and crazy ****.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:31 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The Viper 791 comes with a shutdown toggle switch that will disable the remote start capability. The installer may not have told you where it is located so you may have to do some searching. Once you've hooked up all the necessary connections you just have to turn the switch back on to re-enable the remote start feature.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1king000
take you're car somewhere else. best buy sucks. take it to circuit city, much better at installs. that is a good alarm take it to a real pro. dude when it comes to alarms don't dick around, much more difficult with pulses and crazy ****.
best buy doesent suck because you had one bad experience there...
one of the best mobile electronics/video installer i know works at best buy during the day..

in most cases that ive seen this done in a stick shift car, they usually will rig up a switch and say, ok no if you want to enable remote start u have to flip this switch(not actually doing it themselves) which is how most of them can get away with it.

for him to totally disable it for you means he would have to either

a. have a strong hatered for you.
b. be a complete jackass that you probably dont want working on your car anyway...

imho,fwiw
Old 08-31-2005, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The Viper 791 comes with a shutdown toggle switch that will disable the remote start capability. The installer may not have told you where it is located so you may have to do some searching. Once you've hooked up all the necessary connections you just have to turn the switch back on to re-enable the remote start feature.
Is there a schematic for this alarm? That would be very helpful in locating the toggle switch. Or if you could tell me what components it would be located between. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Pull apart your dash panels and try to lacate the brain. You want to look ofr a black with white wire and see where it goes. If he didn't hook it up at all then it would never start. Also if he didn't hook up the VATS bypass then it will also never remote start.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also, mosst of the time i see them installed right under the steering column... fwiw
Old 08-31-2005, 01:30 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by scifone
Is there a schematic for this alarm? That would be very helpful in locating the toggle switch. Or if you could tell me what components it would be located between. Thanks for the input guys.
The switch could be located just about anywhere. It is like the valet switch in that it is attached to a couple of wires going to the alarm "brain". It was designed to be installed in a location convenient for the owner to disable the remote start when leaving the car at a shop or in an enclosed area (to prevent accidental activation). In this case, the installer probably hid it somewhere so that you wouldn't activate it.

DEI used to publish the installation manuals on their web site but now you can only get owner's manuals for their Viper products. You should ask the installer to give the manual back to you - after all, you bought and paid for it. Tell him you just want to file it away in case you have to take the car someplace else for service.

Besides, he's being an over cautious ***! I can understand that he doesn't want the liability of having installed remote start on a manual car but once you leave the shop any modifications you make on your own are no longer his responsibility so why should he care? All these stories of runaway cars crashing into walls, chasing down old ladies in the street, and molesting dogs are just urban legends. If you have a properly installed remote start (with rpm monitor) and always use your parking brake then the car isn't going to go anywhere even if you accidentally try to start it while it's in gear.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1king000

no
Old 08-31-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am an installer and have done MANY 791's.

the only difference install wise between the 791 and a viper non remote start, is tach wire, brake wire, accy wire, and obviously the VATS bypass.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:23 PM
Launching!

now if the short run/turbo feature is installed would he have to hook up the said wires? this feature lets the engine run after you get out of the car and arm the alarm. would this feature work if those wires werent hooked up? im thinking that he could have just flipped that switch.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Also the anti-grind works when the turbo timer is on. Im thinking that the remote start has been disabled using that toggle switch. I would also need to override the clutch safety switch. Anyone with some info on this please chime in. Thanks guys.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also the anti-grind works when the turbo timer is on. Im thinking that the remote start has been disabled using that toggle switch. I would also need to override the clutch safety switch. Anyone with some info on this please chime in. Thanks guys.

on your clutch pedal, there are 2 wires, and a plug, remove plug, connect both wires together. clutch bypassed.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

There are two switches attached to the clutch pedal - one is the starter safety switch and the other is the cruise control override switch. The cruise control switch has four wires connected but the starter safety switch has only two wires. The two wires are dark green and purple with white. Just unplug the connector and use a piece of wire to short the two wires together to bypass the switch.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:58 AM
Launching!

Will do that. Does it sound like everything else is hooked up though? I talked to one of the installers, I dont think he worked on the car though, and he said they dont even install the toggle switch on manual cars. I didn't get it in the box with the leftover parts so my guess is they just hid the switch when they installed it and turned it off.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Launching!

any thoughts guys?
Old 09-04-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Will do that. Does it sound like everything else is hooked up though? I talked to one of the installers, I dont think he worked on the car though, and he said they dont even install the toggle switch on manual cars. I didn't get it in the box with the leftover parts so my guess is they just hid the switch when they installed it and turned it off.
you need to find the brain...there should be a harness with a blue, gray, black/white, purple/white

the black/white needs to be grounded, and the purple/white is tach signal.

honestly man there is no way we can know untill you open it all up.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Well i dug into it tonight.... to no avail... I couldn't find anything but some fuses and some wires. Where does best but typically put the brain? The only place I didn't look was behind the piece behind the gauge cluster. That piece is attached to the whole front of the dash.

Also where do the blue and grey wires go to? And what wires would that toggle switch be connected to?

Have any of you tried to hit the remote start when the toggle switch was flipped off? I'm curious to what it would do. You guys are awesome by the way and please keep the good info coming.

Last edited by scifone; 09-06-2005 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Launching!

ttt....

Quick Reply: Remote start disabled on viper 791?