Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what might i have messed up if the cam dots...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what might i have messed up if the cam dots...

what all might i have messed up if the crank dot and the cam gear dot arent aligned correctly?
Old 08-31-2005, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

valves, pushrods, pistons. other than that your ok. why?? have you run the motor yet?
Old 08-31-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

hmm...i have driven it. i had to drive it from my friends house back to mine. The pushrods are hardened and ive checked them and they were fine. I guess im going to install my new cam and see if that fixes my issue, if not, then ill pull the heads and replace them I have a spare set that my friend gave me incase i need them. Ill have to swap springs, but what else can i do?
Old 08-31-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the compression or leak down to see if you have any bent valves.
Valves OK, pushrods OK, no harm no foul, put the pedal to the metal..
Old 08-31-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

ok, then next question. How do i do a leak down test? what tools do i need and how is it done? the car is driveable, but loud and rough as ****! my stock cam just came in the mail, so im wondering if i should throw that one in and see if it runs better.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is it dot to dot now?
Old 08-31-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

i dont know. i have to wait till i get home on friday to check it. im going to pull that cam and put my stocker back in. i got that one from a friend.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
ok, then next question. How do i do a leak down test? what tools do i need and how is it done? the car is driveable, but loud and rough as ****! my stock cam just came in the mail, so im wondering if i should throw that one in and see if it runs better.
First you do a compression test. Then if compression is bad you do a leakdown to see what is leaking in that cylinder(s). To do the compression testing get a compression gauge. Disconnect the white weather-proof pack (the one that controls all the fuel injectors, I forget what it is called Now take out all 8 of your spark plugs. Make sure your battery is fully charged. Screw the compression gauge into the desired spark plug hole. Crank the engine a good 3-4 rotations to make sure the cylinder is fully compressed. Check the compression. Do this for all of the cylinders if the compression is low in 1 or more cylinders you need to do a leakdown test.

A leakdown test shows where the cylinder is leaking compression. Whether it is through the valve seals or the rings. You need an air compressor and a fitting to go into the spark plug socket like the compression gauge. Push air into the cylinder if you can feel air come out of the oil fill (cap off obviously) you have bad rings. If you can hear/feel it in the intake, it's your intake valve/valve seal. If you can hear/feel air coming out of the exhaust port it is your exhaust valve/valve seal. I'm sure there is more to it and a more "scientific" way of doing it, however this will work enough to know what's the problem.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

lets say the compression test is good. then what would i need to do?
Old 08-31-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
hmm...i have driven it. i had to drive it from my friends house back to mine. The pushrods are hardened and ive checked them and they were fine. I guess im going to install my new cam and see if that fixes my issue, if not, then ill pull the heads and replace them I have a spare set that my friend gave me incase i need them. Ill have to swap springs, but what else can i do?
Well what is wrong? You have said the dots aren't aligned but haven't said what trouble you're having. By the way, installing a stock cam will not fix whatever problems you're having, whatever they may be.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

i have about 3 threads on the issue. heres goes. I pulled my f10 and put a stock cam in. Now my #5 and 7 cylinders are misfiring. Ive changed plugs and wires. checked all my pushrods, which are hardened, torqued the rockerarms to 22lbft. When i installed the cam the dots were lined up, i just forgot to spin it and see if they stayed on point when they came back around. the car is getting a really really loud knocking sound and idles extremely rough. the cam came from an 02 and my car is a 99. I dont know the history of the cam either. my stock one just came in the mail cause my mom had to ship it to me from TX. Those are the problems.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Definitely sounds like the timing is off. I had the same issue when I installed my cam off a tooth or two. It was lined up correctly when I installed it, but I never spun it to check. Needless to say, that was right before a valve broke off from hitting a piston and embedded itself into the #8 piston and scratched a cylinder wall. I definitely would not install the new cam until the compression/leakdown tests turn up good results. Even if they did, I'd probably pull the heads to make sure the pistons aren't marred up too much, creating hotspots.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

****! thats what i was afraid of!! now im gonna need studs and gaskets oh well, better safe than sorry. hope the heads arent messed up!
Old 08-31-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea bro, it ain't worth running it without knowing exactly what's going on inside. I paid a hell of a high price for that mistake of mine.