Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f13 owners come in. Got some questions.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question f13 owners come in. Got some questions.

After doing a lot of search and reading I think f13 is an ideal cam for me. Just gotta find someone around my area to let me drive their m6 and I'll then be set for sure.

Now I got a lot of questions that I have before purchasing this cam.

1. FMS has two different cam package upgrades. Precision is $50 cheaper than Manley. Any significant difference between two?

2. Which timing chain and where to get from? I believe I saw some sponsor has some double chain for less than $50.

3. LS6 oil pump is recommended, right? It's only $125 on FMS.

4. Which LSA should I get? I know 112 will be more loopy, but will it do anything besides the sound?

5. How much will my fuel efficiency drop after the cam install? I plan on getting it tuned by either rapidmotorsport or fbodycentral shop.

6. How well is this cam going to take 100shot of nitrous?

7. Where do you guys usually shift with this cam?

8. Will stock gears be ok with it? I'm thinking of putting 3.73s in. Enough for daily driving?

9. Will I need to get new lifters? Engine has 41k mi on. I won't be driving hard and redlining the car except race days ( once every 2 months) or once/twice a month if street racing.

10. How long will the springs usually last with granny daily driving and hitting the track very rarely?

I think, I covered all the questions, but if you have something else to share with me, please feel free.

thanks a lot

OP

Edit: I will also be purchasing 25% underdrive pulley, so I can get it done while it's all open. Along with the gaskets etc.

Last edited by OdessitPashka; 09-01-2005 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

1. FMS has two different cam package upgrades. Precision is $50 cheaper than Manley. Any significant difference between two?

Well, I got the Manley springs with my cam. Supposedly a little better quality, but I think the PRC springs have a bit more seat pressure (would have to check PRC specs, I don't know them off hand). I was happy with the Manley quality, but if I did it over again I would likely just go with the PRC springs.

2. Which timing chain and where to get from? I believe I saw some sponsor has some double chain for less than $50.

Get the LS2 timing chain, its $28 from SDPC. Will do the job fine.

3. LS6 oil pump is recommended, right? It's only $125 on FMS.

I would put a new pump in, especially being a 2000 model car.

4. Which LSA should I get? I know 112 will be more loopy, but will it do anything besides the sound?

112 LSA will give you a little more midrange power, but sacrifice a little top end pull. If you searched a lot you should know this.

5. How much will my fuel efficiency drop after the cam install? I plan on getting it tuned by either rapidmotorsport or fbodycentral shop.

Tough to say, depends a lot on your right foot. May only lose 1 or 2 mpg, maybe more.

6. How well is this cam going to take 100shot of nitrous?

Ask nitrous guys or search in the nitrous section, I don't want to speak on this issue.

7. Where do you guys usually shift with this cam?

My shift point is 6500, rev limiter set at 6600.

8. Will stock gears be ok with it? I'm thinking of putting 3.73s in. Enough for daily driving?

I have stock gears now. They will work, but I will be getting 4.10 gears over winter.

9. Will I need to get new lifters? Engine has 41k mi on. I won't be driving hard and redlining the car except race days ( once every 2 months) or once/twice a month if street racing.

You need to pull the heads to get lifters changed. If you are not pulling the heads I would not bother with new lifters.

10. How long will the springs usually last with granny daily driving and hitting the track very rarely?

You should pull a couple springs and check the pressured about 15k miles. Otherwise just don't beat on the car until its nice and warm. Cold springs are brittle.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually, the 112 theoretically will move the power band up in rpm as opposed to the 114. there are some really big f13 threads out there - check them out too. tell us how it goes as well!
Old 09-01-2005, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks a lot guys.

How's low RPM power with stock gears? I'd love to get 4.10s, but with nitrous I'd be running out of the gear with 4.10s.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

Anyone else? I know there is a bunch of guys with f13s. Please share!
Old 09-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Overall the f13 is a incredible cam. If you don't mind a rough idle 112 LSA is great. Many ls1s have taken nicly to it. Like others have said, search is your friend. Stock gears are ok, but the cam loves alittle more gear. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 09-01-2005, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

I've got some issues idling at initial start with my car right now, F13 on a 112, but that's from my shitty tune. Hopefully that will get fixed tomorrow.
I've got no problems at low rpms unless I TRY and get it to buck, I think it's perfectly driveable with the stock gears, but of course other ones would help.
When I got my springs they said the monetary difference between the Manley and PRC springs is just because Manley has more of a name, and PRC hasn't been around as long. I've got PRC's and they're working great.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

Let me know how it runs after the tune.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Grimes, please elaborate. Not trying to flame, just want to know if I am wrong. I like to learn. I have read that a 112 LSA will move the peak power down in rpm a little versus a 114 due to the increased valve overlap.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grimes
actually, the 112 theoretically will move the power band up in rpm as opposed to the 114. there are some really big f13 threads out there - check them out too. tell us how it goes as well!
You are wrong. Going from a 114lsa to a 112lsa will shift the powerband down a couple hundred rpms. It will give worse ptv clearance (you don't need to worry about this) and will make the cam lope more.

The f-13 isn't really a nitrous cam, but it will work. I would never tailor a cam to nitrous unless I was spraying at least a 200 shot. Tailor the cam to the 95% of it use, which will be off the bottle.

The other questions have already been covered
Old 09-02-2005, 06:54 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the response 777. I will most likely will go with 114lsa to have higher peak power for nitrous runs and stealthier sound
Old 09-02-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good idea, if that's what you are wanting. It will drive a little better (if that's possible) and it will be easier to tune, not that it would be hard with a 112. Just more room for error I guess. Good luck, you will like it.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

My car is a hell of a lot more driveable now, after having someone on here tune it for me. It was having surging issues at idle, and would never find idle with the AC on.
Now it starts and finds idle immediately, and turning the AC on doesn't really effect it at all. It seems faster at WOT now as well, it'll spin the tires at like 4 grand in 1st gear now, it didn't do that before.
I don't think I'll EVER get a shop tune again.

Search this Thread