Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New sound system help - replacing stock stuff!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New sound system help - replacing stock stuff!

Hey guys, I'm thinking about doing some audio stuff to the camaro, and wanted some opinions. I'm basically trying to decide between:

1. New Head Unit, Amp, and new speakers.
2. New Head Unit, and just new speakers.

I really don't listen to music that loud, and don't enter any competitions. I'm probably not going to get a subwoofer. Basically, I want really good crisp, clear sound.

Would just a head unit be okay to get? How much would an amp improve sound quality with new speakers?

Looking to spend 200-300 for the HU, 150-200 for the amp, and 200-250 for speakers!

p.s. looking at this head unit: Alpine CDA-9851

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well a good Amp with ALWAYS sound better than just a head unit driving the speakers.....it has more power CAPACITY so can be run lower (less gain) to produce a cleaner sound......

with that said.......you can always just get a really good head unit (that has pre-outs for AMP hook ups), power your speakers with the head unit for now, and then later add an amp.........that way you can take that $200 you would have spent on an amp and put it towards a better head unit........

I would say if you cut corners anywhere, do it on the speakers........the difference between "ok" speakers and "awesome" speakers isn't near the difference between an "ok" head unit/amps and an "awesome" head unit/amps........

ex: my first car was all Radio Shack $5-$15 speakers driven with a pair of $600 Alpine V12 amps and a good head unit......it sounded better than a lot of other peoples "good speaker" systems (I think)....best of all, I still have those same Alpine amps (now in my camaro) with a different head unit (the old one died) powering "awesome" speakers and it all has come together nicely......

also, when in doubt on which head unit/amp to buy, always go with the "larger" of the two.......having too much power will never hurt (just turn it down a bit) but not enough power will hurt your sound clarity.....

I guess in closing I would say:

if your speakers are good/will "work":

1) Head unit
2) amp
3) speakers

if your speakers are "bad" (going out, not DEAD):

1) Head unit
2) speakers
3) amp

Last edited by 2001CamaroGuy; 09-01-2005 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice Chris. Yeah - your answer was in line with other responses I got from people at work. I just want to get the best bang for the buck!

Would a set of the cheaper polks or pioneers in the front doors and the rear seats be good? I've heard that the rear hatch speakers are just for fill...
Old 09-01-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimes
Thanks for the advice Chris. Yeah - your answer was in line with other responses I got from people at work. I just want to get the best bang for the buck!

Would a set of the cheaper polks or pioneers in the front doors and the rear seats be good? I've heard that the rear hatch speakers are just for fill...

depends on what you want.......I personally do not use the rear hatch speakers at all and replaced the "rear seat" ones with 8" subs (not an easy afternoon install)......but then I like the sound to come from in front of me like a live performance (in a car)........

I would say if you get a set of "cheaper" speakers (like the polks or pioneers) and put your money into a really good head unit (to me good head unit = $500 range), I don't see why you wouldn't be more than happy with the setup....

also, if you check around, some head units have an input for a device that will interpret your steering wheel controls (my Pioneer DEH-P80MP did) which is nice.....though I used the infrared converter with my old head unit (mounted the converter and the eye in the dome light cover pointed at the head unit).....