Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change = leak? (newb)

Old 09-01-2005, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Oil change = leak? (newb)

I recently changed the oil in my newly acquired '00 T/A (12k miles) to M1 synthetic and a K&N filter. Before the switch there was no leak/spotting on the driveway, now that I switched, there's some oil dripping from the top of the filter, and the back of the pan. Based on this, I'm assuming the car had dino in it before I got it and the synthetic is finding all the little cracks and leaking out (there was actually a pretty good puddle after changing the oil and the car sitting for a week & a half before driving), and that I probably need to retighten the oil filter.

I guess my question is, should I keep driving on the synthetic and hope that it eventually clears up, or go back to the dino? Also, would it hurt to keep the new filter on there, and just drain the pan or should I replace it also?
(note: have only driven 20 miles or so since the change)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

N-e-1?
Old 09-03-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Take the oil filter off and check the ruber O ring, take a rag and some brake cleaner and wipe off all the oil so you can watch where its comming from.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

make sure the rubber o-ring from the filter you removed didn't stick to the block. If you put the new filter on with that old ring still there oil will be leakin out quicker than you know what to do. I work at an auto shop in my hometown and my first job on my first day was a simple oil change.....simple enough.....but of course i didn't check to see if the old seal came off with the old filter.....come to find out the owner of the vehicle saw the leak when he got home and the motor locked up on the way back to the shop. Needless to say i had one hell of an *** chewing! so be careful and i would check that first. With a car that has that low of miles synthetic wouldn't be running out of your seals. I switched to synthetic when my car had 50,000 miles and i dont have one complaint yet! good luck

Search this Thread