Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advise

EVER SINCE i've had my car I have put super unleaded.Now that gas prices are going up i'm thinking of going cheaper.I'm concerned if going lower is bad for my car though.What I really want to know if there is still ls1 owners still puting super.thanks for the for your time.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Your really only going to save 3$ on a full tank. Not much of a difference. I would not run anything under 91.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Uno99
Your really only going to save 3$ on a full tank. Not much of a difference. I would not run anything under 91.
Thanks man thats all i needed to know.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:41 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Yeah man, it sucks but we all just have to deal with it.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:54 AM
TECH Resident

I have to run 93 octane with my tune. I would stick with paying for premium.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya, premium is the way to go. The little extra you pay at the pump will save you from big losses when risking bigger costs with cheaper gas.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:06 AM
TECH Addict

Stick with premium, don't want to take the chance of F@#$# things up!
Old 09-05-2005, 07:16 AM
Launching!

Why anybody would put gas not recommended in their cars is beyond me, this isn't the first thread about this......When you buy a car like ours, the last thing you should be thinking about is how do I save money on gas, or how do I get better gas mileage. If you are that concerned, buy a honda or toyota. Sorry for the rant, it's early in the AM. That's just my feelings, and am sure a lot of others. Do what the owner's manual tells ya = premium.

Your car will thank you.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soontobeLS1
Why anybody would put gas not recommended in their cars is beyond me, this isn't the first thread about this......When you buy a car like ours, the last thing you should be thinking about is how do I save money on gas, or how do I get better gas mileage. If you are that concerned, buy a honda or toyota. Sorry for the rant, it's early in the AM. That's just my feelings, and am sure a lot of others. Do what the owner's manual tells ya = premium.

Your car will thank you.
Exactly
Old 09-05-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soontobeLS1

Your car will thank you.
Owners manual also says you can run the low grade stuff. There are low octane fuel tables.

I think that if GM says the engine will operate normally on the low grade ****, then it must be ok...... but I would never ever recommend that anyone do that, nor would I do it myself.

And if you are worried about gas prices, then you truly bought the wrong car.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are excerpts from the 1998 Camaro owner's manual:

"If you have the 5.7. engine (VIN Code G), use premium unleaded gasoline rated at 91 octane or higher for best performance. You may use middle grade or regular unleaded gasoline, but your vehicle may not accelerate as well."

and:

"Be sure the posted octane for premium is at least 91 (at least 89 for middle grade and 87 for regular). If the octane is less than 87, you may get a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If it's bad enough, it can damage your engine.

If you're using fuel rated at the recommended octane or higher and you hear heavy knocking, your engine needs service. But don't worry if you hear a little pinging noise when you're accelerating or driving up a hill. That's normal, and you don't have to buy a higher octane fuel to get rid of pinging. It's the heavy, constant knock that means you have a problem."

I have highlighted those ideas I think to be most relevant. What I read from those paragraphs is that 87 is the lowest you'd want to use and is perfectly ok, but you'll see reduced performance.

I have used mid-grade and 10% ethanol blend (mid-grade octane) with no ill effects. I've seen the reduced performance but have had no pinging. When I first used it I mistook converter lockup with other things and didn't like it. Since then I've taken that into consideration and have decided that reduced octane is not a problem for me. Nor do I think it's a problem for my car.

I still put in some 91 octane from time to time in an effort to keep the overall octane up a bit, but that's just me. But for someone to tell me I have no business owning this car if I don't run premium, well, too bad.

$.02