Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LS1 vs sportbikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 vs sportbikes

Last weekend I had some fun up in the N.E Ga. mountains. We have a sweet little road called Hwy 129 that has some great curves. It's a local weekend hangout for sport bikes. Welp, I managed to spank something like 12 bikes in around two hours of trolling. All you have to do is troll up and down the mountain and they will call you out. The fun stuff is between Bogg's Creek at the bottom of the mountain, up to the hiking store at the top. Alot of people park at the hiking store and do some yapping and to get some refreshment.

I know that road like the back of my hand {I used to be up there every weekend back when I was into bikes} and it really helps. I also know that being spanked by a car up there has to be pretty disheartening. What makes it even funnier is that they are so used to being the fast boys up there that it's sorta shocks them when the tables are turned. Most of the time,,, they call me out by revving and throwing wheelies up. Most of the time I just cruise at a regular pace until a pack come up on me. First pack had something like 6-8 riders in it. I let about 4 pass me then went back after them, passed everyone before the hiking store.

The next pack passed me in the opposite direction while I was going down. I turned around and took off after them. This pack had a guy on a Ducati in the lead. I saw the feller and he had a sweet bike, a dry clutch, carbon fiber and sorts of cool stuff so I figured he would be fairly fast. Well, I never passed him but was catching up before he turned off at the hiking store. I did however pass every other bike in that pack just didn't have time to reel him in. Just had to yap,,,, it's pretty satisfying to outrun sport bikes in the mountains.

BTW, I used to ride so I know that the rider has everything to do with how fast one goes up or down the mountain. It's just that 90% of sport bike riders don't seem to know how to ride. I also don't get too awful crazy up there, I always leave a bit in reserve. Don't know how hard the bikes are trying though. If anyone would like to meet up and tag team some bikes or would just like to do some nice mountain driving, let me know.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

I know of a certain LS1 turbo Formula that posts on here that worked a busa
Old 09-04-2005, 01:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having both a sportbike and a LS1 car, I know for a fact that it takes a pretty stout car to do anything close to hang with a bike. My 954 would totally demolish my WS6. From a roll though, the rider must be competant enough to actually downshift to the proper gear. That's where cars win, the bike rider drops down one or two gears from 60, and the m6 LS1 guy goes to 2nd. I have taken my bike to 68mph in 1st alone, probably higher, but that was what it was once when I glanced down. Bikes are FAST!!! Find one with a good rider, that downshifts to the proper gear, and your gonna be watching that taillight fade in the horizon, unless you have a badass ride.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

We were playing in the mountains. You know, curves and such. Not straight line racing from a roll. I've only had a couple show me their tail lights in that section of road. It takes a fairly good rider to do that though. Like I said, 90% of sport bike riders don't seem to know how to ride.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Launching!

I have an 05 r6 and a 99 z28 with 380rwhp. Lets just say... My camaro feels like a 16sec car after riding the bike lol! I totally agree about the dropping into the right gear. Ive rode my 1st gear wheelies close to 70mph. Nice kills man, come find me next time j/k... lol

Goodluck in the future as well!
Old 09-05-2005, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Playing with bikes is fun..

Esp in the N.Ga mountains.Ive watch a good friend race 6 bikes down the mountain.At the end there was only 1 left infront..This was in a raod race prepped supra.

But in the end most riders really dont know how to ride.There are a few but 85% just buy the bike because its cool..
Old 09-06-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Deals Gap, I love screwing with bikes up there. Especially these dumbasses that try to ride harleys around those corners, it's funny seeing them trying there hardest to dust an LS1 f-body but the whole time your right on their ***
Old 09-06-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

You like the fireworks show from the Harleys ehh? It is funny!
Old 09-10-2005, 01:51 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

To keep up with a newer 600cc bike, you'll need at least 500rwhp in a properly set up 4th gen.

600rwhp+ will put a whoopin on most 600cc bikes.

For the busas and such, you better be making 4 digits at the FW to play their game.

Edit: this assumes you are on the highway racing from a roll.

At the track, a 400 rw F-bod can smoke a 600cc bike even with a good rider.

Also, 600rw in a properly setup drag car will take a busa with a good rider.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:32 PM
12 Second Club

I live just 15 minutes from Blood Mountain. Be careful Judd. The state patrol has been busting people left and right up there lately.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the heads up feller, I have noticed a good bit of activity up there. Heck, during the mountain cruise a while back, we spotted a cop running radar in a white Ford truck. That one was sneaky, he was parked in the hikers parking at the Appalachian Trail head at the top of the mountain. Anywho, I generally make a couple of passes up and down before getting spunky. I heard that they had the helicopter up there a couple of weeks ago,,, might have been just yappin though.

Every so often, they make a point of slowing down the traffic up there {completely understandable}. A long time ago when I was going up there a good bit on the bike, they actually had a road block at the R Ranch and another cop sitting at the top of Woody's Gap. They would time specific targets {think sport bikes} and anything that averaged considerably faster than the speed limit would get pulled over. Folks got wise in a hurry and would pull over in a spot between the cops and wait awhile.

BTW, just joined the other side. I've finally got another bike, a 99 Yamaha R1. Going up there tomorrow to have some fun but at a considerably slower pace than in my car. I've gotten quite rusty after so many inactive years.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Went up there today on my R1. I actually got a knee pick down today, that's the first time in about 15 years or so. Felt good to!! And,,, you would know that the day I don't have my Firebird up there a killer car would show up. An orange Lamborghini Murceilago {spelling?} was stopped at the hiking store. Man it would have been fun to play with that guy, I would have been in a win-win situation. If I lost, I would have lost to a 200K dollar car. If I have won,,,, well,,, I would have been a proud feller. It was a good looking car. Much cooler looking car in real life.

Also helped a dude get his bike after he tossed it off the mountain. Luckily, he was OK and his bike {an enduro type bike} was just a bit bedraggled looking. Feller fell down in the exact same place a friend fell about,,,,, hmmmmm,,,, 15 or so years ago!
Old 09-12-2005, 03:29 AM
11 Second Club

i raced an R6 and a 600RR a few days ago and gave the 600RR the jump and he caught only a car on me and that was it from a 50 roll till about 125.

the R6 never left my door b/c he jumped right when i did. it was pretty sweet. i gave the guys thumbs up but they seemed pretty upset that they couldnt pull on me

i know what brian is sayin tho since i have a 954RR like him, those litre bikes would pull me like a bitch if i ever raced one.

anyways just thought i would share my experience in racin sportbikes.

steve
Old 09-12-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z98
To keep up with a newer 600cc bike, you'll need at least 500rwhp in a properly set up 4th gen.

600rwhp+ will put a whoopin on most 600cc bikes.

For the busas and such, you better be making 4 digits at the FW to play their game.

Edit: this assumes you are on the highway racing from a roll.

At the track, a 400 rw F-bod can smoke a 600cc bike even with a good rider.

Also, 600rw in a properly setup drag car will take a busa with a good rider.
''

Thats what i was thinking, Honestly they werent racing you. My freind has revalved Koni yellows, All tube sus. On his ls1 eveything, setup for road racing.

Now if you dont have all these SUS mods, I dont think you can even hang with a bike thats trying. Hes got Pilot cup sports all so. And he can **** with 600s on the tiwst with decent drivers. I dont even know if there were good riders. But a italian bike on the twist with a ls1 is near impossable to keep up with( depending on the rider)