Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sewing machine...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sewing machine...

After my TR 224/224 cam install, with 918 springs. My car sounds like a damm sewing machine, which I am told is normal? I am about to change the oil, I was running Mobil One 10w30. I bought some Mobil One 5w30. I have read that is the best oil to put in besides 5w40. I tried looking for 5w40 at wallyworld. But, no go. I did see Mobil One 5w40 for truck and suv. Should I go ahead and put in the oil I already bought(5w30). Or should I return it and get the truck and suv 5w40??? If I get the truck & suv 5w40, will it help quiet my sewing machine? Is it bad to run the truck and suv oil?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 09-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

That sewing machine noise IS normal with a high lift cam. Mine does the same thing with .581" lift. What is the lift of your cam? Much higher than the stocker, I assume. I doubt changing oil will make it any quieter.

I thought the dual springs I was using was part of the noise problem, but sounds like the 918s are noisy as well.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have adjustable rockers. I can't believe the number of people that do not. I can't believe that they make these engines without adjustment. Rockers out of adjustment will make that sewing machine noise. I had the same noise, most of it was from rockers, and the pushrods were hitting on the heads, down inside the head. That's with .600 lift and Comp shaft rockers.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

my 224/ 581 dosent sound bad at all. i have dual springs also.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by racecar
Do you have adjustable rockers. I can't believe the number of people that do not. I can't believe that they make these engines without adjustment. Rockers out of adjustment will make that sewing machine noise. I had the same noise, most of it was from rockers, and the pushrods were hitting on the heads, down inside the head. That's with .600 lift and Comp shaft rockers.

I have the stock rockers, stock push rods. I torqued the rockers to 22-23lbs...I was told I needed to do nothing else??? Was I suppose I adjust something else?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 09-05-2005, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 4mula
my 224/ 581 dosent sound bad at all. i have dual springs also.

Did you do any other adjustments to the rockers? Or did you torque them to 22-24lbs and thats it?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 09-05-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blown Interceptor
I have the stock rockers, stock push rods. I torqued the rockers to 22-23lbs...I was told I needed to do nothing else??? Was I suppose I adjust something else?

Thanks,
Jason
correct, you cannot adjust th stock rockers. sewing machine noise is normal with any h/c setup
Old 09-05-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

With adjustable rockers, you set the lifter preload precisely 1/2 turn or 1 turn or whatever the manufacturer recommends. When the engine warms up, the aluminum block expands much more than the steel pushrods and you end up with less preload.
Without adjustment, good luck, it may be 1/4 or 1/2, or 1/8, or 0. Maybe it works, maybe it makes noise. I don't have experience with non-adjustable rocks, other people seem to use them without problems. You are counting on everythning to be within factory tolerance. With any aftermarket parts, they are not always the same as factory dimensions. I know it's a big chunk of money but if you buy adjustable, then you can set each one correctly to get the noise out.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eamador11
correct, you cannot adjust th stock rockers. sewing machine noise is normal with any h/c setup

Ditto.....get used to it.

I have the same cam you do, on a 112. I thought it was bad to at first until some guys that had cams listened to my car and agreed that's what you're gonna have to expect with the parts the car has.

Once you get it on the dyno and you see how easy it survives all those runs (8 in my case) you won't think of it anymore.

Now if it gets louder or sound really rambunctious, than you better take the valve covers off and check everything out.

Manny
Old 09-06-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sewing machine noise = normal.

Try a different oil. I switchd to GC which quieted down the valvetrain, at the expense of more piston slap.

There is no need for adjustable rockers with your setup.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

What lifters are you useing. If you are useing Comp Cams R lifters, you need to convert to a adjustable set up, as you will screw up the lfiters. Most aftermarket lifters have a very specific set up, and COmp Cams R's are VERY loose, 1/16 of a turn approximately, and they need to be readjusted after intial fire up, and the heads warm up and the rockers settting is off. If they are OEM lifters, then everything is Okay.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't purchased adjustable rockers but still can before I throw the car back together. Aren't those adjustable rockers a pain to get right? And will they fit under the stock valve cover?
Old 09-08-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Regular

Waht is all the talk about the adjustable rockers being to heavy over the tip and causing valve float? I am putting my engine together right now and dont want to have any of these probs. and also i am wanting to use my stock rockers some people say not to use them with comp r's but that what i have had since my last ls1 and haven't used them yet ? any feedback
???????????
Old 09-08-2005, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

What sewing machine sound is normal? I'm running a TSP 231/237 cam which is real close to 0.600" lift and comp r lifters with no "sewing machine' noise what so ever. Also running stock rockers and 921 springs. I'd suspect noise to be improperly preloaded lifters, unless aftermarket rockers which may hit on some valve covers. Should be obvious once covers are off where they are hitting.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:27 AM
On The Tree

The word I got from some people is to get some roller tip rockers to quiet the sewing machine. Don't know how accurate that is but mine does the same thing. maybe its just that grind cam??
Old 09-09-2005, 02:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 Swapper
What sewing machine sound is normal? I'm running a TSP 231/237 cam which is real close to 0.600" lift and comp r lifters with no "sewing machine' noise what so ever. Also running stock rockers and 921 springs. I'd suspect noise to be improperly preloaded lifters, unless aftermarket rockers which may hit on some valve covers. Should be obvious once covers are off where they are hitting.
Bingo, this is the answer.

To little preload will cause extra clattering. With non adjustable rockers, custom p-rods should be used.
If you use 7.40 and have clatter, then most likely 7.425's will cure it.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

I just found a new source of sewing machine noise. I thought it was the Comp R lifters. Just took my engine apart after 500 miles. The pushrods are hitting inside the heads. When I built the motor, I used a grinder to make the holes bigger in the top of the heads, but they are hitting down inside in the head. What you see from the top is not the whole story.
When GM cuts the pushrod holes in the casting, 8 of them cut into the casting all the way through the head. Those 8 need more clearance with the cam and rockers that I have. I spent hours with a die grinder and small (1/2") sanding drums to provide some extra clearance down there.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1 Swapper
I'm beginning to believe that it is the aggressive ramps of the newer cams. This is causing some kind of lifter deflection that makes the noise. That TSP cam does not have the XER lobes (although I think their new ones, like the Torquer 2) do have XER lobes. Most of the people complaining about "sewing machine" are those of us who recently did cam swaps.

This is just a theory of mine based on the fact that I've changed lifters (3 sets), pushrods, rockers, and even my shortblock. That leaves only two things left, my cam and my heads. I think its the cam...
Old 09-10-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

can someone explain the sewing maching noice to me. what it exactly sounds like. i havnt heard a sewing maching in a while? my engine is making a tapping noise, kind of sounds like a header tick, but more like metal tapping metal. and you dont hear it untill the collector of the headers....well only the passanger side
Old 09-11-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Byter
I'm beginning to believe that it is the aggressive ramps of the newer cams. This is causing some kind of lifter deflection that makes the noise. That TSP cam does not have the XER lobes (although I think their new ones, like the Torquer 2) do have XER lobes. Most of the people complaining about "sewing machine" are those of us who recently did cam swaps.

This is just a theory of mine based on the fact that I've changed lifters (3 sets), pushrods, rockers, and even my shortblock. That leaves only two things left, my cam and my heads. I think its the cam...
While attributing more noise to the steep ramps is right on the money. There is no extra lifter deflection due to the ramps.
If you combine fast ramps and stiff springs (as most of the poeple here overkill for phobia reasons), your valves are slamming shut a lot quicker & harder and that is mostly what you hear. Add low lifter preload to that and then you magnify the symptoms.