New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LS1 owner

Old 09-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LS1 owner

What's up? First off the site is great. I just got my 2000 Formula about a month ago and I am looking for my next mods. I was thinking about the usual headers and exhaust but I want to take a different approach with this car. I was thinking more on the lines of getting the electronics of my car done first, i.e...venom 400 pcm, new computer chip, power pragrammer, etc. I've seen a lot of threads on here about adding bolt-ons but not really the electronics side. Is there a reason for that? Just wondering...
Old 09-05-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

welcome to the site. You dont see any thing about chip's and such because you can get stock pcm tuned with out changing any thing. If you are going to mod start with the boltons and then move to internal parts. Check if there are any sponsers in your area to dyno tune your car when your ready for it.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Welcome to the site, and yeah the stock pcm can be tuned so no reason to replace it, id start with the bolt ons first
and by the way nice car
Old 09-05-2005, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

A4 or M6? Best bang for the buck is going to be a stall converter if A4, gears for M6, or nitrous if you like juice. Do some research before modding so you dont waste a bunch of money to reach your goal with the car. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up I appreciate it...

Thanks for the guidance. Now that you mention it, that would be kind of pointless to buy a new PCM...thanks. I just saw a killer cam combo that I want to pick up. It's the LS6 Z06 Camshaft Kit to convert my LS1 engine to an LS6, pretty much. It comes with everything (LS6 camshaft 204/218 dur @ 0.050 and 0.550/0.550 lift, SD1423 valve spring kit with titanium retainers, Manley pushrods 7.450, Rollmaster double roller timing set with all gaskets and seals and a new balancer bolt) and it's only about 580$. I know I won't see it's true potential till I get the other mods to help my engine breath better(intake manifold, headers, exhaust), so I guess I will start from there. She's quick, but I know she can be quicker. Thanks for the tips.

ONE MORE QUESTION!!!!!! How much does a new driveshaft help out, and any brand in particular?

Griff
Old 09-06-2005, 09:34 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Griff, spend some time reading that "Super FAQ" at the top of this forum. Tons of questions are answered in there, and you won't waste money making the wrong decisions.

that LS6 cam package is a waste of money, you will find guys selling that stuff used out of their Z06's for like $200 if you really want it though. There are far better cams and springs out there, worth about 20+ more hp, for not much more dough.

no need to replace the driveshaft until you start running low 11s with a 6-speed, mid-10s with an auto.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Z06 cam package will NOT get you the kind of horsepower the LS6 engine gets you because you have a different head set up as well.... if you are going to go that route you are better off getting a head and cam package from one of our sponsers and you will be anywhere between 400-450 hp with good tuning. but then you will have to worry about breaking things.... ie: Rear ends, Driveshafts, transmissions (m6), clutches
Old 09-06-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont say how you can say the z06 package is a waste of money? its affordable (especially if u buy one used) and guys are seeing good numbers out of them. I have done some research and i have pretty much decided on the ls6 for lots of reasons, one major one being that I can keep a stock idle and driveability but gain some power, and not break the bank doing it.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

I was going to say that but I think they were saying it's a waste of money if you were trying to get big gains out of it. Yeah they are right about that...But if you buy it brand new it's still relatively cheap cuz everything comes with the kit for around 580$. But for what I want, it'll work for me. I just want about or a little more than 400hp to the wheels. I think it'll work after I get the right stuff done(intake manifold, headers, exhaust,etc.). And I just saw a used paxton VR70 supercharger on ebay for like 260$, that was the current bid anyway. Now that would be sweet to add to that whole package, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Paxton-Superchar...QQcmdZViewItem

Above is the shortcut. I wish I had the money for that right now, but if it's on there now, I'm sure it'll be on there some other time too. Anyway, the LS6 cam kit looks like what I am looking for. I just gotta be sure I do it right with the other essentials first. Thanks...

Search this Thread