Shoping for a ring.. need help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 11:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shoping for a ring.. need help!

Im wanting to buy a ring for my girlfriend and trying to get all my ducks in a row... My girlfrind and i both found a ring that we both really liked but what i want to know is what kind of markup are on the rings?? Reg price is $5499 and it's on sale for $3999. Wondering if i bring in cash what price should i try to bring them down to?? They do negotiate. This is from Samuels in the woodlands mall... are they good??
Old 09-05-2005, 11:21 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

With all that stuff I suggest trying to get 10% off.

Maybe look on www.bluenile.com and look at $4-5K stones. I found that our jeweler up here was pretty competitive, he only took like 5% off.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Markup on stones is huge. Personally I wouldn't buy from a jewler in a mall or from any of the large chain stores for that matter. I've had way too many friends who have been gouged by Jared and the likes (Jared sold my buddy a ring that was originally $11,000 for $8,000 - It should have cost $5,000). Your best bet is to find a local jewler, tell him how much you want to spend and ask him what he can do for you. If you don't have a jelwer that you trust, ask around as I'm sure that someone on this board or a coworker has one. You can also price check the stone on the web if you know the specifications (color, cut, clarity, shape). Unless you are looking at a real intricate setting, most of the money will be in the center stone, so you can get an idea of what it should cost.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:20 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Here is how I would play it...

1) Ask for referrals... If someone has a buddy or a relative in the jewelry trade chances are they will not screw around.

2) Look up the ratings of various stones, pick a carat size, and then you kind of have an idea of what stuff costs.

3) You can always buy a stone direct from bluenile, and you can also use that as a negotiating tactic.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:40 AM
PR Director

If you are willing to make a trip out to Pasadena I have some cousins who are jewelers. Its a family owned and operated business and they will get you the best price they can on what ever piece of jewlery you want. If you know the design and what type of stone(s) are on the ring you like give Jerry or Richard a call and tell them what you want and what you found and see what they can do for you. The name of the store is Dynasty Jewelers and their number is 281.991.7900, tell them Mike sent you and they will hook you up.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Pawn shop dawg.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:24 AM
TECH Regular

Personally I agree that buying from a mall jeweler is not the way to go. About four years ago Chris took me to just look at designs in the mall, he got the idea of what kind of ring I liked then went to IW Marks off Bellaire and 610 and picked the design then had a choice of diamonds to choose from. Tell you what, the appraisal was at least 4,000 MORE than what he bought it for!!!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Junkie

We bought my wife's ring at Houston Jewelry on Westheimer. They were very up-front about the price and gave us a good deal. The guys at IW Marks pissed me off because the sales guy started into the whole "She's a beautiful girl, why don't you love her enough to buy her this ring?" bit. F*CK YOU AND EVERYBODY THAT LOOKS LIKE YOU!

Some advice that I found helpful: If the prongs on the setting are white gold, platinum, or any other white material, the diamond will look white. For this reason, you don't need to get a diamond with a really high clarity rating. The diamond can have a few flaws in it, but you will never see them against a white background.

My wife lost her original ring, so we bought her a moissannite replacement ring. Yes, she knows it's manufactured. However, this also means that she doesn't worry as much about it when she goes to school each day and teaches a room full of kids with a 1 carat "diamond" on her finger. I'm quietly saving up to get her a real diamond for our 5th anniversary next year. She will likely wear the moissannite ring to work each day, but will wear the nice one when we go out to dinner and such.

-Mike
Old 09-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Can't give you much advise on a ring but run like hell from a mall jeweler
Old 09-06-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT GO TO MALL JEWELERS!! They sell junk diamonds and rely on really expensive lighting to make them look incredible. I flew to New York and went to the diamond district to buy mine. I saved about $8K on it. Hands down the best prices in America.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

Also, never pay attention to appraisal value. There is no industry standard for this and each store can make them up. It is extremely misleading.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:27 PM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yeah my dad actually has worked for houston jewelry for 40 + years give them a call hell help ya out. His name is Sal Vasquez 713-784-1000

Eric

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
We bought my wife's ring at Houston Jewelry on Westheimer. They were very up-front about the price and gave us a good deal. The guys at IW Marks pissed me off because the sales guy started into the whole "She's a beautiful girl, why don't you love her enough to buy her this ring?" bit. F*CK YOU AND EVERYBODY THAT LOOKS LIKE YOU!

Some advice that I found helpful: If the prongs on the setting are white gold, platinum, or any other white material, the diamond will look white. For this reason, you don't need to get a diamond with a really high clarity rating. The diamond can have a few flaws in it, but you will never see them against a white background.

My wife lost her original ring, so we bought her a moissannite replacement ring. Yes, she knows it's manufactured. However, this also means that she doesn't worry as much about it when she goes to school each day and teaches a room full of kids with a 1 carat "diamond" on her finger. I'm quietly saving up to get her a real diamond for our 5th anniversary next year. She will likely wear the moissannite ring to work each day, but will wear the nice one when we go out to dinner and such.

-Mike
Old 09-06-2005, 01:37 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ESR
Yeah my dad actually has worked for houston jewelry for 40 + years give them a call hell help ya out. His name is Sal Vasquez 713-784-1000

Eric

really? I will have to talk to you about that
Old 09-06-2005, 02:04 PM
FormerVendor

man, thats allot of good info! i have been shopping around and yes the malls definitly seem to want to screw you hard, but the ring her and i picked out is very unique.. i have the picture but it doesnt show the side profile to do it justice.. Maybe your dad can figure it out ESR???
Old 09-06-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got my wifes on line at bluenile.com after a suggestion from a friend. I was very pleased and so was she.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:49 PM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default ring

just take your pic over there they will either have something for ya or will try to get it or one as close as possible for ya.

Originally Posted by getdrugtoday
man, thats allot of good info! i have been shopping around and yes the malls definitly seem to want to screw you hard, but the ring her and i picked out is very unique.. i have the picture but it doesnt show the side profile to do it justice.. Maybe your dad can figure it out ESR???
Old 09-06-2005, 05:18 PM
10 Second Fun Car

I went to Lewis Jewelers in Webster/Clear Lake to get my fiances engagement ring. Very good people to work with and they got me a heck of a deal on a ring and a stone! Check them out!
Old 09-06-2005, 11:48 PM
FormerVendor

i have the samuels catalogue but i couldnt find the pic on there site or i would have posted it... it's on the front of their catalog now...
I really want this ring exactly.... It says it's made from the designer... "BELLA"
BUT i cant find them anywhere online...
Old 09-06-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sent you a PM on the jewler in houston i used.. Delton Hayes.. very honest good people.. i got a great deal and anyone that has seen my fiancees ring will tell you its a nice one.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:32 AM
13 Second Truck Club

remember... the more carets you get, the more she gives back in bed. lol

it's true, women love diamonds!

diamonds + girl = panties on the ground.