Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Has anyone ever broken the head off of their tensioner bolt? If, so how'd u fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever broken the head off of their tensioner bolt? If, so how'd u fix it?

Welp, I put my D1 back together this weekend after waiting 5 or 6 weeks for my idler pulley. So, it took me two days to put it back together cause I didnt pay enough attention to my friend who helped me take it apart. (I handed him the tools and didnt pay attention)

Well anayways, so there I was for 3 or 4 hours trying to figuire this thing out and I did. I was sssssssssssssssssso happy all I needed to do was tighten the tensioner bolt as hard as I could (as per my friends advice ) And KABOOM I broke the head off the bolt.

Other than cutting off the belt, removing the head unit and idler again and undoing the 3 bolts that hold that metal peice to my car, bringing it out and trying to undo that bolt with vice grips does any one have any advice for me? I doubt I will be able to loosen it with my vice grips alone (without removing everything from car and trying to just unscrew it inside the car) due to the tension of the belt.

here's a pic of my wonderful boo boo: (click on the pic to make it bigger)
http://www.graphicsoftheamericas.com...s/DSCF0665.JPG

Thanks,

Crystal
Old 09-06-2005, 12:01 PM
...with cheese.

man... if I had a buck for every time I did something like that... Have you ever heard of easy outs? They are like drill bits designed to removed bolts. They make big ones and sell them at sears, find the one for your application and try removing it with a drill... I seriously doubt you'll have much problem backing it out with the right tools. Best of luck, keep us posted.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:19 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Tack weld to it with a stick welder and turn it back out, or do what Andy said.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:30 PM
...with cheese.

There's another idea! Pop the top of it a couple times with a welder to give it something to turn.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Crystal!!! Bet you won't make the same mistake again!!

yea use an easy out , or try to find a little ridge and use the blade of a screwdriver and just tap it around till it comes out enough so you can grab it with some pliers or something.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:52 PM
...with cheese.

^ I confuse you two with those names...
Old 09-06-2005, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Well if I remove the nut on there I should a good amount to grab with vice grips. I will look for that easy out thing and see if it is cheaper for me to take the whole thing apart aagain and spend 20 bucks on another belt or buy easy out. With gas prices on the rise, just call me the frugal gourmet.

How do you know when to stop tightening???

Hey Got SOM on this project i also learned:

- the importance of a sports bra when putting the head unit by yourself and having it land on your chest a few times. (or trying over and over again)
- long beautiful hair looks really really bad after it lays on the drive way under the car for a few hours
-french manicures and engine grease create some type of mutated un removeable gunk under and around my nails
- Never ever think that the front sway bar bracket bolt is back in, cause it really isnt and will fall and break your lip (guess it beats botox lol)
- No picture of any woman really working on her car can be found even mildly attractive
- Oh yeah and I learned car gunk dont taste so good.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Haa haa, I did the same crap... It was an easy fix.
Just got out the dremel with a cut off wheel, cut a grove in the top of the broke part of the bolt, and cut the nut off, this allowed me to put a flat head screw driver in there and turn it out....took about 10 minutes to do.

EDIT, heres a pic to show you how I took the broke bolt out of mine

Last edited by frcefed98; 09-06-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

hmmm I have a dremel some where at home.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SOM_of_a_Beach
Well if I remove the nut on there I should a good amount to grab with vice grips. I will look for that easy out thing and see if it is cheaper for me to take the whole thing apart aagain and spend 20 bucks on another belt or buy easy out. With gas prices on the rise, just call me the frugal gourmet.

How do you know when to stop tightening???

Hey Got SOM on this project i also learned:

- the importance of a sports bra when putting the head unit by yourself and having it land on your chest a few times. (or trying over and over again)
- long beautiful hair looks really really bad after it lays on the drive way under the car for a few hours
-french manicures and engine grease create some type of mutated un removeable gunk under and around my nails
- Never ever think that the front sway bar bracket bolt is back in, cause it really isnt and will fall and break your lip (guess it beats botox lol)
- No picture of any woman really working on her car can be found even mildly attractive
- Oh yeah and I learned car gunk dont taste so good.
This thread is worthless without pics

Old 09-06-2005, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SOM_of_a_Beach
you are sooo wrong! LOL
Old 09-07-2005, 02:44 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by half-n-half
This thread is worthless without pics

Totaly agree.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever broken the head off of their tensioner bolt? If, so how'd u fix it?