Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long block assembly questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Long block assembly questions.

I'll be putting the long block together this weekend and have a few questions about it. Any input or tech info is greatly appreciated.

1. The 347 came with light green lube/oil in it for shipping. Do I need to wipe/clean this out or flush it with the first oil change after about 30 minutes of running the motor?
2. The lunati lifters and rollmaster double both have a film of lubricant/grease on them. Do I need to spray them clean with brake cleaner and then oil them with motor oil?
3. After the Lunati lifters are cleaned, is it recomended to soak them in oil over night? Does this let enough oil in to push the plunger up enough that it might skew initial preload measurement?
4. How do you get coolant in the block to absorb heat till the thermostat opens and pulls from the radiator. How much of a concern is this?
5. Were can I find torque specs on the windage tray and baffling in the bottom of the oil pan. I pulled the baffling out to make sure it was perfectly clean.

John
Old 09-06-2005, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

I know you are supposed to clean the lifters off & then soak them overnight in oil. And then install them & fire the car up soon or they will collapse back down. Which sounds un-doable to me. As for the coating on the block, I know people that do clean it off, but I feel the cleaning solvent is worse than whatever that stuff is, so I plan to run the motor for 15-30 minutes & drain the oil.

The coolant isn't an issue as long as you have the burp tube from the heads connected to the radiator. Just start the motor & keep filling up the radiator. It should be fine....

PS Tell James Mark said hi.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

If that green lub is in the cylinders do not wipe off. It is a special lube to help in ring seal that is made by Total Seal. It also means someone assembled your engine correctly and did a good job cleaning the cross hatch in your cylinders, they went the extra mile. Clean off those other parts and soak in oil.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:02 AM
Restricted User

I dont clean any of it, unless it has been contaminated by visual or feel testing. The lube on the chain is to help the rollers from getting chewed up while the pump primes. Lifters, hard one there, mine have sat for months, assembled, w/o out any heads etc. I verified pushrod length with old heads and gaskets, will remove lifters & soak, then finish assembly, pour oil in lifters areas just prior to start up and cross all fingers, and maybe some toes. When you firing in the hole? I hope to install mine sometime Oct/Nov...waiting on the ET performance heads release And in small chambers to boot!
Old 09-07-2005, 07:45 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks fellas! The green lube was in the cylinders so I'll leave it there!

CAT3,
Fire that bad boy up this weekend of the clutch gets here so I can drop it in. All the other parts will be here today. Man, it's christmas early at my house. The UPS or FedEX guy has been by here everyday for a week!
Old 09-07-2005, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

Anyone got torque specs on the windage tray and oil pan baffles?

John