Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rigid mounting a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rigid mounting a turbo?

Ok, this has been on my mind lately as im trying to decide where to mount my single turbo. For all you guys who are rigid mounting the turbo to the frame, arent you worried about stress cracks and such in the headers? Take for example Kyle's buildup. The passenger side header runs right up to the turbo flange which is mounted to the frame. 1/2" of engine movement is going to stress that joint right? The drivers side header has a flex joint at least to help...

Or, what about the Phamspeed center mounted turbo. Can the headers really support a 40lb turbo for that long? THats my only fear with that positioning.

I am going to be using poly motor mounts and I can flex them a good 1/4" with the k-member mounted on the motor while on the engine stand.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You would have to use one heck of a flex section. Most of the guys that solid mount a turbo to the car have a solid mounted motor too. If you want a non-solid mounted motor then you have to sopport the turbo somewhere on the motor itself.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:51 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my old setup's turbo mounted to the frame. Only 1 flex section on the up pipe. Never had any trouble.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Currently making a support mount to hold this GT42 in place on my pham kit...yet another thing I have to "fix" on it.....dur...lets hang 45lbs of turbo off a 3ft long pipe Thick header flanges or not, something is going to give. I can just see running over my turbo when it cracks off and falls to the ground I'm also adding a 2.5 flex section to my passenger crossover pipe to reduce tension on the passenger side header.

Slowhawk had a pic of his support and i'm copying that to hold it in place, it bolts to the engine.
J
Old 09-07-2005, 01:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not aq bad idea to add a flex section even when the turbo is mounted to the engine/header. This allows the header and or piping room to expand/contract with heating/cooling. I could not see mounting a turbo on just a header unles it had a lot of design consideration in there just for suppot purposes.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I would not mount a turbo to the frame even with solid mounts, the frame moves allover the place even under light throttle things are moving around... Both the truck and car have the turbo supported on the eninge... The cars t105 is too heavy just to hang out there, and the truck it just seemed a good idea.

You can see the support on the head...

Ricky
Old 09-07-2005, 02:09 PM
FormerVendor

If you solid mount the motor i see no problem with not running a flex section and solid mounting the turbo. The bmr build up turbo car did it the same way.
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/Buildup1.htm
Old 09-07-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Currently making a support mount to hold this GT42 in place on my pham kit...yet another thing I have to "fix" on it.....dur...lets hang 45lbs of turbo off a 3ft long pipe Thick header flanges or not, something is going to give. I can just see running over my turbo when it cracks off and falls to the ground I'm also adding a 2.5 flex section to my passenger crossover pipe to reduce tension on the passenger side header.

Slowhawk had a pic of his support and i'm copying that to hold it in place, it bolts to the engine.
J

that would be my car
Old 09-07-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

ut oh somebody call stenod quick and tell them they're doing it wrong. there's nothing wrong with rigid mounting a turbo as long as you put flex sections in.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Nobody ever said they were doing it wrong...
Old 09-07-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Currently making a support mount to hold this GT42 in place on my pham kit...yet another thing I have to "fix" on it.....dur...lets hang 45lbs of turbo off a 3ft long pipe Thick header flanges or not, something is going to give. I can just see running over my turbo when it cracks off and falls to the ground
Sounds like your pissed at Phamspeed...too many issues with the kit huh?
Old 09-07-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Sounds like your pissed at Phamspeed...too many issues with the kit huh?
As to bolting it up and going, yep a lot of little things that added up too quick. The three big issues being turbo support, and ground clearance and oil drain back.
Ovalized tubing will be going in, but as to the performance its awesome so far. i'm happy with that
Old 09-07-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

its frustrating when you get something that is supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread and you get it, and its just regular old bread in a new bag.

The phamspeed kit was awsome for the price, BUT they touted it as a complete ready to go system, that didnt have ground clearance problems.

neither of which is true.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

That's really really really slick!

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
I would not mount a turbo to the frame even with solid mounts, the frame moves allover the place even under light throttle things are moving around... Both the truck and car have the turbo supported on the eninge... The cars t105 is too heavy just to hang out there, and the truck it just seemed a good idea.

You can see the support on the head...

Ricky

Quick Reply: Rigid mounting a turbo?