Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car without Title Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car without Title Q's

im looking to buy this 02 t/a but this guy is alot of debt and cant seel car without title unless i pick up a extra 10 to 15,000 hel seel it real cheap like a few grand its basically new but without title is this a good idea for me to buy it without title of is there more to the picture???
Old 09-07-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kanes2413
im looking to buy this 02 t/a but this guy is alot of debt and cant seel car without title unless i pick up a extra 10 to 15,000 hel seel it real cheap like a few grand its basically new but without title is this a good idea for me to buy it without title of is there more to the picture???
Are you saying he wants you to give him 15k to pay the car off and get the title? Or the deal is he will sell the car without a title for a couple thousand? I say buy it for $2,000 scratch off all the vin #'s and spend the extra $13,000 on something else. Honestly I would walk away from that deal, it may end up like this
Old 09-07-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay as far away from that "deal" as possible, sounds like nothing but a scam. Find a different car
Old 09-07-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i couldnt figure it out its on ebay tho i talked to him he said he owes money for child support and that who has the title since hes in debt so he wants to sell the car without a title as like a part out salvage ???? no idea but if he cant give me the title is there any way?
Old 09-07-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

plus its 02 t/a with just above 20k for 3k(my offer if i decide its worth my time)
Old 09-07-2005, 06:52 PM
9 Second Club

My guess is it's stolen. Get the vin from him and run it before you do anything.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

In most states, it's ILLEGAL to sell a car without a title. Also, if he EVER wanted that car back, legally it would be his. He could sell it to you, and then pick it up the next day, and there wouldn't be anything you could do about it. And that's the best case scanario. Say the car is stolen, and you are riding around in it. Sooner or later you will get picked up. When you say I just bought the car, they are going to ask you for a bill of sale, which you won't be able to provide. If the car is indeed stolen, it could turn out REAL bad for you. Basically either make arrangements to transfer the title, or stay away from it. You know the old saying about if it sounds too good to be true. I would bet money this is a scam.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Teching In

hell yeah stay away from that, i bought a car from a guy, got the title from him but it turned out that the never signed the back of the title and his bank sat on the title for 8 months so he would not have to pay taxes on it. Now i am having to sue the guy for my money back cause i cant do anything with the title (i cant get tags on it) because he wont sign the back of the title and pay taxes on it. So i am basically screwed on this deal so that is why i am sueing
Old 09-08-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Ebay has had a lot of scams going on. If it sounds too good to be true than it is not worth taking a chance. Don't do it.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dont do it. Aside from all the other issues that are with doing this, how are you going to register a car without a title? If the car is dirt cheap like $3,000 and you can meet him in person to do the trade, you could do that and then part the car out...
Old 09-08-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

This might help

www.dictionary.com
Old 09-10-2005, 01:24 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

You could take the car home for $2k, strip it, and triple your money or just have a nice LS1/tranny and sell the bodywork to break even.

Just be sure what you're getting before you put your $$$ down.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z98
You could take the car home for $2k, strip it, and triple your money or just have a nice LS1/tranny and sell the bodywork to break even.

Just be sure what you're getting before you put your $$$ down.
You can buy my car without the title for $2k. Right after you drive away I will report it stolen, keep your $2k and get insurance money from the stolen car. Also, you get the added bonus of the chance to get arrested while driving it home. What would the judge think if indeed the car was stolen, and you tell him you bought it, but only paid $2k for it. Buying a car without a title is almost the same thing as buying a stolen car. Bottom line the title is ownership of the car. If you don't have the title, that car isn't legally yours. And yes; you CAN get in trouble for selling parts off of a car that isn't yours.

Last edited by Zoltan; 09-10-2005 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:50 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Actually title doesn't equal ownership always.

I had this happen with a motorcycle recently.

The police said the owner would have to take the person to small claims court to recover their property.

So, stop talking out of your ***, please.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z98

The police said the owner would have to take the person to small claims court to recover their property.

The owner taking the person to court being.....? The person with the title.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z98

Yeah you tell the judge you paid $2k for a $15k car.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:32 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

The owner taking the person to court being.....? The person with the title.
Title didn't mean ****.

The person who had it in the garage was in possession, and the police said they were unable to remove it from the property, and it would have to be settled in court.

Of course, all this REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE doesn't mean much compared to everyone else's gueses and opinions.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z98
Title didn't mean ****.

The person who had it in the garage was in possession, and the police said they were unable to remove it from the property, and it would have to be settled in court.

Of course, all this REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE doesn't mean much compared to everyone else's gueses and opinions.
I personally think that title represents ownership, period. But im not trying to convince you of my opinion, you said that the owner had to take the person to court, im assuming the owner would be the person who had the vehicle prior to the 'new owner/theif', meaning that the owner suing would be the one with the title, its contradicting
Old 09-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

Theirs a lot more to the picture if theirs still a lien on the title....The bank owns the car, and will be coming for the car if he has missed a couple payments. What is the payoff on the car? If he sells you the car for a couple grand(way under his payoff), he is a moron, because he will still owe the balance of his loan, because the bank will take the car and auction it off and he will have to pay the remaining balance of the loan, unless he's filing bankruptcy. I'm not sure if the bank can take the car from you if you have a written receipt for the car, they might just sue the previous owner for the balance. In a way it's not really the guys car to sell if it still has a lien on it....I'd stay away. I was a collections agent/repo man and can tell you it's risky to buy something like this. You might be out a couple grand and a car in the end....
Old 09-12-2005, 08:09 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

I personally think that title represents ownership, period. But im not trying to convince you of my opinion, you said that the owner had to take the person to court, im assuming the owner would be the person who had the vehicle prior to the 'new owner/theif', meaning that the owner suing would be the one with the title, its contradicting
Actually we bluffed the person with the bike, and told them the police would come back to help us pick up the bike if they didn't give it to us RIGHT NOW (even though the police told us they couldn't intervene).

It worked.