Want a bike what do i need??????

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want a bike what do i need??????

looking into getting a bike any suggestions what to do first, what i need??? what to do/what not to do??? First time buyer mistakes, $$ spent on maintance. Thanks guys.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also looking into getting a bike. What I've figured out so far: Buy a used bike that you wouldn't mind laying down. Chances are, you going to lay it down anyway and you won't feel too bad about doing it to a 3-4k bike as opposed to a new 8k bike. Also, the MSF course is a must.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks thats a start anyone else???
Old 09-07-2005, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Also, here's a link of where you can take the MSF course.

http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=TX
Old 09-07-2005, 04:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't own a bike but I would recommed to get something faster then a 600cc if you plan on playing with LS1's
Old 09-07-2005, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Strini SS
I don't own a bike but I would recommed to get something faster then a 600cc if you plan on playing with LS1's
I forgot to mention. Get something 600cc or LESS. 600cc is more than enough bike for us first time riders.

Then as time passes (a year or more) and you feel ready for a faster bike, do so.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

You dont need to waste money on going to a motorcycle school If you have a freind that knows how to ride one tell him to teach you the basics It isnt that difficult if your afraid of riding a bike you will never learn im not saying you shouldnt be afraid of it becuase It is a dangerous hobby....Do yo atleast have any expreince?
Old 09-07-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Strini SS
Well i actually already own a 02' Z28 M6. Cam going in it pretty soon.

also i think i will need to take the motorcycle class dont have any buddies with one nor do i have prior experience.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bad Black SS
You dont need to waste money on going to a motorcycle school If you have a freind that knows how to ride one tell him to teach you the basics It isnt that difficult if your afraid of riding a bike you will never learn im not saying you shouldnt be afraid of it becuase It is a dangerous hobby....Do yo atleast have any expreince?
Bad advice take the MSF course I did and am very happy I did.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1_cam2

also i think i will need to take the motorcycle class dont have any buddies with one nor do i have prior experience.
you can learn on my bike "the mustang eater" well its a 4 wheeler but gears are the same as a regular motorcycle but throttle is a bit dif, but it should help you out.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Junkie

you need to go get a 750 and a small 100 dirt bike, ride the damn $100 dirt bike for a month or two then hop on the 750 and you should be alright, the hard part is getting used to the leaning
Old 09-07-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by redaddiction
Bad advice take the MSF course I did and am very happy I did.
I didnt I bought a 04 GSXR 600 and learned from scratch Now i want a 750 for me MSF its a waste of time/money ......But just my .02
Old 09-07-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1_cam2

Well then go ahead and take the classes I didnt need them and it was very easy for me to learn the Hardest thing is to Start Moving after that its gravy! Well you also need to know your breaks
Old 09-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Mustang Moderator

MSF is definately a must. Take this before you buy a bike, trust me on this one. You'll have a new bike and be itching to ride it, and go out, and BAM there you are, on your *** on the side of the road, your new bike all messed up.

So, take the MSF first. The MSF is fun, you get to spend a weekend riding someone else's bike. Then, your MSF Completion Certificate will substiture for the Riding test at the DMV. This is a VERY big bonus. The riding test you must have a licensed friend(18+ years old I believe) to follow you in a car, with a state trooper riding shotgun with him. That car will follow you, and certain honks will mean to turn left, right, stop, etc etc. BUT, if you take the MSF, you don't have to do this. Take your certificate to the DMV, take the written test(piece of cake), and theres your license! Not to mention, most insurance companies will give you a 10% discount on your insurance for having completed the MSF course.

Then, its time decide what bike you want. Great starter bikes are the Kawasaki Ninja500, Suzuki SV650(S), Maybe a Katana 600, etc etc. The biggest thing here is think cheap and small. Stray away from the modern super sport bikes, handling and throttle are too twitchy for newcomers. I learned on a 1983 Honda Nighthawk 650. It was free. 'Nuf said lol. (Remember, a slow bike with a badass rider is just as fast, if not faster, than a badass bike with a shitty rider)

Don't forget to budget for things like a helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, etc etc. Absolute minimum I'd say would be a helmet, jacket, and gloves. You can get away without the boots, but I'd strongly urge you wear something with ankle support/protection(saw a dude lose his foot in a motorcycle accident, not a pretty sight!)

Ok, so it sounds like a lot to do. Truth be told, I started riding when I was 17. Its fun getting all your gear together and taking the class, getting your license, etc. Above all, have some fun(I know, it sounds hard to do with all this stuff to do, but this is the safest, smartest way to get into the motorcycle world.)

Arron

PS- If you have any questions feel free to ask. I sold my previous bike over Xmas break, but I couldn't stay away and hopefully I'll be on two wheels here again very soon...
Old 09-07-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SV 650. I learned on that 4 years ago. Since then I owned and Honda F3, GSXR600, R1, KDX 200, NSR50, and most recently I bought another SV 650. It's a good learning bike and great commuter. You are very comfortable on it, and you can concentrate on riding not, being hunched over some race bike with street plastics.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Teching In

ive owned a bike for 3 yrs and i got a 600, yea its fun at first but it get slower every day. i say a 750 is just enough, just dont act a fool till you get it downand dont spend alot of money on your first bike cause your ganna drop it once or twice. i bought my bike not knowing how to ride, just like a 10 speed bike just alot heavier. just becareful ive had afew friends pass away on bike wrecks in these 3 yrs, you gotta watch other drivers cause they dont respect bikes,they dont have much chances of getting hurt so they jump out in front of you or just dont see you

Last edited by gueros2kss; 09-07-2005 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

I'd recommend taking the MFS course. If nothing else, you decide riding is not for you, you're not out a lot of money as they furnish the bikes.
Also buy used for 1st bike for all reasons above. If you know any knowledgeable bike people, take them along when you look at any bikes. There are lots of bike forums in Houston area. Friendly folks who'll help you out.
www.houstonsportbikenetwork.com
www.twtex.com
Old 09-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

just curious were are a few places on line to search for a used bike???
Old 09-08-2005, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

http://www.cycletrader.com/
Old 09-08-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

A 600cc bike is plenty for anyone...I dont care what anyone says, it has plently of power...Its pointless to have a bigger bike unless u plan on racing it. Ive been riding dirt bikes since I was 11 and I still took the Motorcycle safety course for insurance purposes. Its totally different from riding a dirt bike on the road/trails to a crotch rocket if thats what you want. You can pick up CBR 600 F2's and F3's for pretty cheap...Ive had my bike for 3 years now like I said before the 600 is plenty...