Beater Problem and Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Beater Problem and Question

Alright guys. My wife had an old 1995 Ford Probe that was leaking Oil bad. I got that fix and now the car runs great no leaking or anything. However I have a problem. When I get around 55-60 MPH and stay that speed steady for about 2-3 mins the Check Engine light comes on for a few seconds and the goes off. While it was in the shop getting fixed for the oil problem I had them scan the car (its an OBDi car not a OBDii) apparently the codes dont store in the computer so he didnt find a code. On top of that he went out and drove it and said the light didnt come on. Well its coming on now every time I get around 50+ mph . When the light comes on there are no performance issues, the car continues to run fine and then it goes off. Does anyone out there have any clue as to what this could be? Maybe a bad O2 sensor at high speeds? Its hard to diagnose this problem if I have no where to start. Any help would be appreciated. Or any pointing in the right direction would help too.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Does it have high mileage? Could be an o2 sensor.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah it has high mileage About 86,000 I am thinking the same way you are I think its the O2 sensor. I found a "probe Forum" I am trying to figure out how the hell to get the code read from the PCM damn ODBi cars
Old 09-08-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

More than likely it is an egr issue ford usually activates it around 50 mph and at a steady cruise state. Without a code reader it cannot be pulled the older eec ford systems did not have a wire to ground and get a flash code from the ses light.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
More than likely it is an egr issue ford usually activates it around 50 mph and at a steady cruise state. Without a code reader it cannot be pulled the older eec ford systems did not have a wire to ground and get a flash code from the ses light.
Hmmm... yeah its doesnt hold the code so there is no damn way to figure out what it exactly is and how to fix it. Like i said it doesnt hinder driveablity its just a pain in the *** to see the CEL come on.

Damn I hope its not and EGR issue the EGR Valve is $177!!!