New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I will start modding my SS soon, Im starting with the suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 05:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool I will start modding my SS soon, Im starting with the suspension.

Well, I want to have the best traction and handling for when I start adding some HP
I have a bunch of questions so please be patient.
I guess I shoud make it clear that I will put on my car QTP headers with HVM and their Catted Y pipe. The car will also be lowered, Undecided with what, Springs or Coilovers. if springs, Most likely DMS. Maybe LG G2s. If I go coilovers, QA1s.So the parts have to clear.I shoud also make clear that my car will be a daily driver, Seeing alot of street Races, with about Drag strip duty twice a year.

-1st-
I been looking into companies like LG, BMR, Spohn, and UMI. So far I like UMI the most. Seems like their pieces are better made. I dont care about price, I rather have some great quality parts in my car. I love my car and well, I want the best I can afford.
What do you guys think ? Does it sound good to start modding the suspension first ??
What company do you guys like ??? Why ??

-2nd-
A-arms. Should I buy them adjustible or not ? What are the pros of Adjustibles ? Why do people use them ??? Shoud I get them Chrome Moly ?

-3rd-
Lower Control Arms. What should I buy ? Non Adjustibles, Adjustibles or Double Adjustibles ?? What are the differences ?? Shoud I get Chrome Moly ?

-4th-
Panhard bars... Same thing, What are the effects Adj. have over non-adj.?? and what about double adj.

-5th-
Torque Arms. Which one do you guys recommend me ????

-6th-
Sub Frames, I like the Kenny Double Diamonds, What do you guys think ? Should I go with bolt on style SFC or Weld ins ??? and Why ??
What SFC do you guys think are the best in terms of quality?
And do the Double Diamonds clear the QTPs and Catted Y ???

-7th-
What about sway bars ? Is it better to go Hollow or Solid ? I have seen both. And what size ??? I seen most vendors sell 32mm or 32.5 for the front But I seen that 1LE cars had 36mm ???....
Whats a good size ?? What do we have stock ? 30mm ??

And last question, What do you guys recommend, Should I go with Springs and shocks or a Coil Over setup ???
I like DMS springs, I also like LG G2s. I dont know what shocks I would get if I went with springs.

As far as a Coil Over, I like the QA1 Single Adj. that UMI sells. It says Firm Ride and great handling. Sounds good. I dont think they are expensive either.

So thats it for now. Im trying to get my head straight and decide on some quality parts for my car. Sorry if im asking too much
Old 09-09-2005, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO sorting the handling and chassis out on any car should be mandatory before adding hugh BHP.

Your best bet is to speak to the companies that make the parts, tell them what you want (be realistic) and see what they recommend.

As for adjustabel vs non-adjustable.

It depends. The non adjustable stuff will be setup as a ok average for everyday street use. The adjustable stuff will allow you to taylor your car to your exact needs. HOWEVER if you do not know what you are doing or are not propared to spend the hours of testing to get the correct setup you will be far worse off. As you'll probably end up with a bad setup.

Alternatively if you get adjustable stuff then leave it in the default settings (ie the same as non adjustable) why bother spending the extra money.

Adjustable will also run the risk of needing more checking as things can, do and will move over time. Non-adjustable is far less likely to encounter these issues.

If you where racing (sprint/circuit) then adjustable will allow alternate setups to match the conditions. But for daily street use it is not required, and besides are you going to spends hours setting you car up each week to counter different roads and weather conditions?

IMO - for the most part the non- adjustable is the better bet. If it can't be adjusted, you want worry about whether its right or not.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ~ever~
-1st-
I been looking into companies like LG, BMR, Spohn, and UMI. So far I like UMI the most. Seems like their pieces are better made. I dont care about price, I rather have some great quality parts in my car. I love my car and well, I want the best I can afford.
What do you guys think ? Does it sound good to start modding the suspension first ??
What company do you guys like ??? Why ??
Probably the best idea. A lot of people don't think about suspension cause it doesn't give you power. However, no use in having power when you just sit and spin/wheelhop. I like BMR, but that's because my came with mostly bmr suspension stuff and it works well imo.

-2nd-
A-arms. Should I buy them adjustible or not ? What are the pros of Adjustibles ? Why do people use them ??? Shoud I get them Chrome Moly ?
Non-adjustable is what I recomend, you don't need to be moving the a-arms around really unless you are totally into drag racing. They are set good in the non-adjustable style. They are much lighter and the best part about it is where you are loosing the weight any weight you can take off of moving parts such as wheels, flywheel, suspension the better. It makes a huge difference in how a car runs/feels.

-3rd-
Lower Control Arms. What should I buy ? Non Adjustibles, Adjustibles or Double Adjustibles ?? What are the differences ?? Shoud I get Chrome Moly ?
Non-adjustable, again you don't need adjustable. adjustable is typically for people who will run huge tires (tall, not wide) and have to move the wheel back to clear the fenders.

-4th-
Panhard bars... Same thing, What are the effects Adj. have over non-adj.?? and what about double adj.
This is where you should get adjustable, especially if you plan on wide tires (315's) This will center the rear end with the car. I have a non-adjustable and the rear-end is offset like 1/4"-1/2" to one side.

-5th-
Torque Arms. Which one do you guys recommend me ????
Here is where I don't know really what brand to get. I have the BMR one, but I'm not sure how big of a difference there is in all of the different brands. Definatly get an adjustable one of these so you can set the pinion angle correctly.

-6th-
Sub Frames, I like the Kenny Double Diamonds, What do you guys think ? Should I go with bolt on style SFC or Weld ins ??? and Why ??
What SFC do you guys think are the best in terms of quality?
And do the Double Diamonds clear the QTPs and Catted Y ???
I don't know much about those, but any subframe connector is better than none. These are a definate must, even if you don't do much suspension. This should be a first mod, right up there with a lid and exhaust. Get the weld-ins, they are cheaper and will be stronger. The last two questions I don't know. You can search and find a poll somewhere. It wasn't too long ago that someone started a subframe connector poll.

-7th-
What about sway bars ? Is it better to go Hollow or Solid ? I have seen both. And what size ??? I seen most vendors sell 32mm or 32.5 for the front But I seen that 1LE cars had 36mm ???....
Whats a good size ?? What do we have stock ? 30mm ??
No idea with swaybars. I have stock swaybars. I think the difference is more on what you want to do. Probably hollow for drag racing and solid for autoX.

And last question, What do you guys recommend, Should I go with Springs and shocks or a Coil Over setup ???
I like DMS springs, I also like LG G2s. I dont know what shocks I would get if I went with springs.

As far as a Coil Over, I like the QA1 Single Adj. that UMI sells. It says Firm Ride and great handling. Sounds good. I dont think they are expensive either.

So thats it for now. Im trying to get my head straight and decide on some quality parts for my car. Sorry if im asking too much
Coil-overs will definatly be better, and far more expensive. The QA1 is a great setup. If you can afford it I would get that.

Wow...That's a lot of questions

Last edited by 777; 09-09-2005 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

777 Thank you for giving me your opinions !!
Old 09-13-2005, 06:16 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Give Ryan at UMI a call. He'll be happy to help you out. Just make sure you have in mind your goals for the car because that will determine which parts he'll suggest (drag race vs autoX, etc). Tell him I refered you