Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Life of a stock rocker?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Life of a stock rocker?

What are your opinions on how long the stock rocker arm should last? I have 98k miles on my rockers, I have new heads coming right now, I will be replacing the lifters while the heads are off with Comp OE replacements. I'm just concerned with the rockers, do you think they should be ok? I have ALWAYS used full synthetic oil in the car, but just not sure.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:13 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

I believe that your rocker arms are probably good for another 100 k. They are really excellent rockers for a stock engine. Now, are you replacing your push rods? This is really important if you are upgrading your valvetrain to go along with the new heads. What kind of heads are you installing? Are you changing the cam? Note, if you are upgrading the cam, your new base circle is probably and you may need longer push rods than the standard 7.4 inch. Do a search. This subject has been well covered here.

All my best,

Steve
Old 09-09-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
I believe that your rocker arms are probably good for another 100 k. They are really excellent rockers for a stock engine. Now, are you replacing your push rods? This is really important if you are upgrading your valvetrain to go along with the new heads. What kind of heads are you installing? Are you changing the cam? Note, if you are upgrading the cam, your new base circle is probably and you may need longer push rods than the standard 7.4 inch. Do a search. This subject has been well covered here.

All my best,

Steve
I already have hardened pushrods and the cam is staying that's in it, G5X4. I just got the new heads tonight, I got new lifters to replace that while the heads are off. So we'll see how things go. The car already has Comp 921's, and the new heads are using the PRC dual platinum spring, so that will stay the same.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Rocker life is not determined by time, on average they have been known to start failing anywhere from 40K miles upward but more frequently with excess of 60K miles onward.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kept my stock rockers, when I busted severn of them, I just replaced again with all stockers, I just kept all my stock lifters, they had only 32,000 miles.