Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my PRC's, what do you think, 56k beware

Old 09-09-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got my PRC's, what do you think, 56k beware

Now the bitch of installing them!!!! No flow sheet in the box, I will be calling Jason monday. I think I will get them flowed locally too just to be safe, if it's not too expensive. I really don't know what to look for with heads, so anything look out of the ordinary, or things I should look for? The first two images are of the packaging for those concerned with it. Mine don't have a lot of scratches, a couple little things/nicks, but the head surface for the gaskets feels smooth. These are a stage 3 with 2.055/1.60 valves.

Also got the new lifters, ARP head bolts and Cometic gaskets. I don't want to flycut Oh well, gotta try it I guess
Old 09-11-2005, 01:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice... I am getting some soon as well.. I wonder how much of a difference their 299 hand finish the offer will do?

What cam are you going with, if you dont mind me asking?
Old 09-11-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
Nice... I am getting some soon as well.. I wonder how much of a difference their 299 hand finish the offer will do?

What cam are you going with, if you dont mind me asking?
I belive he runs an X4
Old 09-11-2005, 02:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stang killer
I belive he runs an X4
uummm, so that will require to notch the pistons? I saw the X3 has ???. I did not see the X4, so i would assume it is newer and bigger?

Sorry, dont mean to steal your thread. Just finally got some money and trying to figue out what "big" cams will fit the 5.3 heads without notching the pistons.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those heads look nice. They could use some hand finishing/polishing to just clean up those ridges a little bit.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, I will be using the X4 that is in the car right now. I will be flycutting too, not looking forward to it, but will be doing it.

These heads are supposed to be hand finished, do they not look it??? I got them on that GP were they included hand finishing. I will double check with Jason tomorrow when I call to make sure they got it, he says there really isn't any benefit but looks anyways.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

that PRC logo engraving is a nice touch...didn't get that with my set - the finishing on them looks a little better too
Old 09-11-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I think you'll like them. I like mine so far with my tiny 224/220 cam, I gained 32rwhp and that is on a nitrous tune.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Scott if you pull the heads out the flow sheet should be between the two folds of the box.

I can also post or fax you another copy of it if you tossed the box already

Ferocity02,

Actually thats probably not the best idea. Every set of PRC heads that leave now spend about 5 hours of extra time for additional porting & tweaking on the runners. Freddie has spent countless hours tweaking where he ports & where he leaves the cylinder head just as it is. I've polished on the heads a little bit & hurt them before.

Each set of PRC 2.5s now ship completely ported & finished just like Scott's heads! Freddie works ALL DAY on one set of heads! This definately limits the quantity of cylinder heads we can ship, but it insures that each cylinder head performs very well

Freddie normally puts a cylinder head on the flow bench 3 or 4 times before he's happy with it.

We've compared the latest PRC cylinder head to several different companies heads. One head that was claimed to be a new port claimed to go 317cfm on the intake & 25x on the exhaust, but it could only do 298 & 201 on our bench with no pipe! Another small runner head that was suppose to go 300 only goes 292 on my bench. A third company that offers larger valves in a ls6 style head flowed a blistering 283 last week with a 2.055 valve.

We offer free flow testing for anyone who wants there cylinder heads flowed & we offer anyone interested in cylinder heads to come by & take a look at how much goes into these cylinder heads. We flow test heads so much lately that if you come by your pretty much guaranteed to see someone's heads being flowed.

The deal is everyone can make one good cylinder head. What we're working to do differently is:

Every set meets a certain flow requirement at each lift before it ships.

Every set spends extra addtional time for hand porting & flowing as many times as it takes to meet the flow requirements

Every set ships with a flow sheet that gives the customer data on what the cylinder heads flowed when tested.

100% Guarantee that you'll be happy with your heads

Each set uses brand new cores & name brand components to make sure valves don't fail & seats don't fall out.

We're working really hard to make sure every set of heads that ships is a ringer set. If that means only one set of cylinder heads ships a day then that's what we plan on doing. I feel like it's better to ship one good set of heads then 2 or 3 average sets of heads. There's plenty of average head companies out there already...
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 09-11-2005, 02:44 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Those are definatley hand finished, a non-finished set has noticeable cnc marks throughout the cylinder head. With our recent changes & extra porting we do to the heads, we now ship every set hand finished just like that
Old 09-11-2005, 06:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
Those are definatley hand finished, a non-finished set has noticeable cnc marks throughout the cylinder head. With our recent changes & extra porting we do to the heads, we now ship every set hand finished just like that
Hey Jason, So all the 5.3 heads come with a "hand finish" now? On the TSP website it says an extra 299 bucks?

What compression will you end up with? I think I read like a 10.8?

I will be calling you guys on Thursday to order a set.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
Thanks guys, I will be using the X4 that is in the car right now. I will be flycutting too, not looking forward to it, but will be doing it.

These heads are supposed to be hand finished, do they not look it??? I got them on that GP were they included hand finishing. I will double check with Jason tomorrow when I call to make sure they got it, he says there really isn't any benefit but looks anyways.

How do you flycut/notch the pistons? Are you taking it to someone? They rent tools? You just get a grinder and start grinding (j/k)?
Old 09-11-2005, 09:48 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

You got it Waterbug, we hand finish each set at no additonal charge We rent the cutting tools for the guys that need them. I did a 6.0l today in about 1.5 hours
Old 09-11-2005, 10:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
You got it Waterbug, we hand finish each set at no additonal charge We rent the cutting tools for the guys that need them. I did a 6.0l today in about 1.5 hours
cool thanks.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jason, thanks for the info, I took both heads out and emptied that box inside and out, no flow sheet, can you post a scan of it or fax it to me tomorrow?? My fax is 480-558-0973.

They look great, don't get me wrong, I'm just curious how much more they flow than the standard valved 2.5's you are selling, that's the main reason for me going with the bigger valves, I want something that will flow more than the standard head and make more power of course

Jason has been an EXCELLENT person to deal with, they have put up with me calling and asking questions on the heads, I never gave them flack for the wait on the heads, I knew quality takes time, and I would rather have something done right and take longer than quick and crappy

I will still flow them locally to make sure they are still in perfect working order since the left TSP, who knows what could happen in shipment, etc.

Thanks again!

Also Jason, I will call you tomorrow anyways, I will need to rent that tool and head to flycut. I will be doing this myself, so we will talk about tips and tricks, I plan to cut .90 to get a total of 1.10 out of my stockers, I want to be sure I don't hit the piston
Old 09-12-2005, 12:36 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
Jason, thanks for the info, I took both heads out and emptied that box inside and out, no flow sheet, can you post a scan of it or fax it to me tomorrow?? My fax is 480-558-0973.

They look great, don't get me wrong, I'm just curious how much more they flow than the standard valved 2.5's you are selling, that's the main reason for me going with the bigger valves, I want something that will flow more than the standard head and make more power of course

Jason has been an EXCELLENT person to deal with, they have put up with me calling and asking questions on the heads, I never gave them flack for the wait on the heads, I knew quality takes time, and I would rather have something done right and take longer than quick and crappy

I will still flow them locally to make sure they are still in perfect working order since the left TSP, who knows what could happen in shipment, etc.

Thanks again!

Also Jason, I will call you tomorrow anyways, I will need to rent that tool and head to flycut. I will be doing this myself, so we will talk about tips and tricks, I plan to cut .90 to get a total of 1.10 out of my stockers, I want to be sure I don't hit the piston

I am assuming that the 405.02 HP in your pic there is with X4 only + bolt ons. I am curious to see how much more these heads will give you. When do you think you will have the heads on and back on the rollers?
Old 09-12-2005, 08:37 AM
11 Second Club

u will love your prc heads,they make killer power
Old 09-12-2005, 09:32 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Just give me a call when you get time Scott. I'll fax my flow sheet for you to checkout.

The bigger intake valves haven't helped hardly any at all, the differences between the two didn't help alot, but the exhaust valve upgrade made a sizeable change!!
Old 09-12-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Very Interested in seeing the before and after dyno as I am looking at purchasing a set of the Stg 2.5 6.0 or LS6 heads very soon.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

waterbug - Yes the numbers in sig are with the X4, BUT, with Pacesetter long tubes and their shitty y-pipe with a cutout. Since then, I added QTP 1 7/8's long tubes with race collector, and 3" true duals with 3" XR1's. I'm hoping to be at 410rwhp now at least.

I plan to flycut asap and install asap, as soon as I talk to Jason about the tools I can rent. I want to get them flowed locally, but there isn't crap around here for good shops to do it

I hope to be near 440rwhp or more, then I may add a Fast 90/90 combo, but I want 440 with the LS6 intake.

We will see what happens soon I'm DYING to install them though

Search this Thread