Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud ticking...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud ticking...

i know LS1s and LT1s both have like a ticking noise and stuff but i got a diff kinda ticking comin from my LS1 now...

it started one day i was hookin the N20 up and i put the switches backwards so it was shooting gas into my intake bfor i realized it(with the car not on) well it flooded it out pretty bad and when it finally started it wanted to die and sound like i had a HUGE cam in it or something....but i reved it and stuf for like a minute or 2 till it evened out...well now i got a loud ticking noise comin from my engine...what could have messed up???
Old 09-10-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

Ticking noise after N20 hook up... not that it is related, it could be just a weird coincidence, but it could be a bad lifter. If your valves are all ok, it's either a bad lifter or a slightly bent pushrod, it all depends on how high you revved the engine when it was flooded.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i havent yet shot the nitrous...just kinda flooded the **** out of it shooting fuel into the intake on an acident...the nitrous tank wan't even in my car...
Old 09-10-2005, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

If there's some gunk build up in your engine, you can always try some chevron techtron cleaner in your gas tank and see if the ticking goes away. After 1 tank of gas with the cleaner, if the noise is still there -- if I were you I would not even try spraying before checking your lifters man... You could simply destroy your engine.

It's a lot of work, you have to remove the heads, get new head bolts, etc.. but once you're in there clean everything really good and drop some new lifters there, as well as hardened pushrods. Trust me, that's cheaper than a new engine.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

I just thought about another possibility. If you flooded the engine really bad, you could have had some gas going through the valves when they're open, causing the oil to be sort of "washed away" in certain top areas of the engine (heads) -- this is rare, but since you said you flooded it really bad, it could be it. Change your engine oil first. See if that solves the problem. If not, go back to my post just before this one