Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tell me what you think of this idea...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tell me what you think of this idea...

I'm going to put a DVD navigation deck (very nice deck setup with a 7.5inch LCD from pioneer) in the camaro.

What I plan on doing is running a switch that converts video modes, 2 video sources, and a switch to switch between them.

THen I plan on mounting a standard desktop PC (with braces) in the rear where the spare tire is (or maybe in the dash with micro atx, if i can make it fit)

That way I could be running something like HP tuners on the computer, flip a switch and see my DVD nav

comments?

It's in developmental stage, my friend is an electrician, and said it's totally doable, (im very computer savy, just not hard electronic savy)

But i wanted to hear some pro's and cons before I went out and spent 3k on a deck and computer parts
Old 09-11-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why??
Old 09-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by aaron653
why??
why not?
Old 09-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Teching In

It sounds like a great idea to me. You can have a navigation system, tune your car's computer easily, make logs of runs and play 120 gigs of mp3s from the harddrive. If you set it up with wireless, you could even transfer things instantly from your home computer. I would like to do something like this, but it's a bit cost-prohibitive right now and a lot of work. There are several sites that can help, such as mp3car.com.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Physics
It sounds like a great idea to me. You can have a navigation system, tune your car's computer easily, make logs of runs and play 120 gigs of mp3s from the harddrive. If you set it up with wireless, you could even transfer things instantly from your home computer. I would like to do something like this, but it's a bit cost-prohibitive right now and a lot of work. There are several sites that can help, such as mp3car.com.
I hadn't thought of the wireless idea! nice!

I dont plan on going with a phenominally fast computer, 4-500 dollar micro atx setup (with a raptor HD and some nice memory) and a nice sound card, biggest problem I think would be wiring the dual video input on the deck, and making it look good and clean.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

I dont want to put the LCD in the dash because I'd have to move my AC controls, and unless I could find a good way to move them to say the center console, that probably wont happen.

so its a deck mounted LCD

(or maybe lower into the cig lighter and that cubby? thats an idea! )
Old 09-11-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

the biggest issue is the vibration from the car on the computer. most real in car computers have some sort of isolator to reduce it. as far as puttin a LCD in the dash, if you have a camaro, you could cut out above the radio where the ASR and convertable switches mount
Old 09-11-2005, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

I think the resolution when using the computer will be really bad. I have tried running my computer through svideo to my avic-n2 and it looks like crap. Do you have an svg on your screen.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

I dont have a screen yet, this mod will be in a month or 3 when I finish the sub/amp swap and headers

However i like the idea of cutting the top console, I'm putting a push button engine start (for show) where the cig lighter goes, and a nitrous panel where that useless *** cubby is, but thats not a half bad idea.

I'm going to use foam (industrial pack 2.2 density) and dynomat to help the vibrations, I have an idea for a setup as far as that goes

were you using onboard video when it was crappy? or a decent vid card? because all my LCD's look good through the 6600 GT ill be using.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Keep us updated. I really like reading about the in-car computers, and I'm trying to get ideas for when I finally do something like this.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Check out this one on a T/A. Might give you some ideas.
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50883
Old 09-15-2005, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

before you do any of that, i highly recommend you get a very good anti-theft device and/or alarm system. that should be your first priority
Old 09-15-2005, 10:50 PM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

Have one

and my car only gets parked in my garage or somewhere you know its not gonna get broken into aka track or where lots of people are, or im right next to it the whole time.