Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stuck lifter WTF!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck lifter WTF!?

Hello,..I've been viewing this site getting lots of helpful advise,many thanks to those who have helped unknowingly.
last week i got comp roller rockers and push rods attempting to upgrade over stock gm parts that were making some ticking noises,found that i needed someone experienced to adjust the new rockers,i decided to replaced just the push rods for now & noise gone!,simple huh? Well the next day im driving normal making a left @ a light and !rattle ratttle clank! engine dies..take off valve covers to find exaust valve on #8 not moving! remove head only to find that lifter stuck and roller broke off and lobe on cam chewed up a lil' bit WTF!! #8 was were the ticking was comming from. QUESTION#1 Was this a sign of the lifter going bad?.. and the new strength & millimeter more of length of the new comp pushrod the cause of the destruction?
QUESTION#2 Why did the engine die? wouldn't it have still ran on 7? ,engine is not siezed.is it a vaccume issue?
QUESTION#3Should i go ahead and remove engine to replace cam,cam bearings, lifters,and undoubtledly the pisces in the bottom of the motor
Question#4 Should i remove and replace the crank bearings while im there? what about the oil pump? *i hear these suck any way! *i'd hate to do all this work to just have it die and kill all the new motor work, car is a daily and has 89000 miles on it I LOVE THIS CAR!! ....i do all my own work have no lift and engine will be comming out top side
QUESTION#5 2part..has anyone else had the problem of a lifter's roller breaking off,..part 2..should i just shoot myself in the head now..?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default yo...

anyone wana take a stab @ any of my questions? thx
Old 09-13-2005, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

hey that happened to me also( broke off the tip and it got stuck)
only it was with comp r lifters(comp sucks)

the reason mine did it is thatthe shaft that the roller rides on slide out and hit the block

you will need a new block because i can promise you that you will need a new block or have to repair the block

you might as well start pullin the motor because your not getting out the top...you have to knock it out through the bottem(trust me)

after its out pick up a forged short block and call it a day
Old 09-13-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

sorry to tell you, but this happened to me also and i had to replace the engine. only thing i reused was the crank. the rods were about the only other usable part on the car.

best wishes
Old 09-13-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

I have Comp R lifters - they suk? really?
Old 09-13-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok thx for replys keep em comming...thx ,mike
Old 09-13-2005, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

yes they do suck
the shaft for the roller came loose on my after 200 miles!!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't shoot yourself, after 46 Days and the second try and I do not even want to talk about the extra money I had to spend, I finally got my cam install to work. It will all work is self out one way or the other.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
Hello,..I've been viewing this site getting lots of helpful advise,many thanks to those who have helped unknowingly.
last week i got comp roller rockers and push rods attempting to upgrade over stock gm parts that were making some ticking noises,found that i needed someone experienced to adjust the new rockers,i decided to replaced just the push rods for now & noise gone!,simple huh? Well the next day im driving normal making a left @ a light and !rattle ratttle clank! engine dies..take off valve covers to find exaust valve on #8 not moving! remove head only to find that lifter stuck and roller broke off and lobe on cam chewed up a lil' bit WTF!! #8 was were the ticking was comming from. QUESTION#1 Was this a sign of the lifter going bad?.. and the new strength & millimeter more of length of the new comp pushrod the cause of the destruction?
QUESTION#2 Why did the engine die? wouldn't it have still ran on 7? ,engine is not siezed.is it a vaccume issue?
QUESTION#3Should i go ahead and remove engine to replace cam,cam bearings, lifters,and undoubtledly the pisces in the bottom of the motor
Question#4 Should i remove and replace the crank bearings while im there? what about the oil pump? *i hear these suck any way! *i'd hate to do all this work to just have it die and kill all the new motor work, car is a daily and has 89000 miles on it I LOVE THIS CAR!! ....i do all my own work have no lift and engine will be comming out top side
QUESTION#5 2part..has anyone else had the problem of a lifter's roller breaking off,..part 2..should i just shoot myself in the head now..?
You can pretty easily pull the engine from the top, done it a few times. Yes u are pretty screwed on your block. Check the sponsor board find yourself a shortblock.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

thx, keep repys comming....were's a good place for a shortblock?if comp sux so bad wat brand should i use for lifters and a cam?*i'd like to get a cam with no immediate tuneing issues to swap out the stock one*
Old 09-14-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

why is it some ppl's point of view that my block is f'ed? it isnt damaged..?
Old 09-14-2005, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

yes it is
if the lifter is stuck in the block then the block is fecked trust me it happened to me
Old 09-14-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default f@*K

Old 09-15-2005, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

any one else please?..more info?

Quick Reply: stuck lifter WTF!?