Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IAT and idle airflow

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default IAT and idle airflow

Is there a table that controls how IATs interact with idle airflow?

Here's my problem. When I drive in to work in the morning, my hot idle IAC count is around 25. When I get to work and pull into the parking garage, every time i come to a stop, the motor almost stalls until the STITs jump up and the IAC counts hit about 35. Im rather surprised that the cooler temperatures in the shade would have that great an impact on idle airflow. Anyhow, is there a table that will let me scale the efffects of IAT on idle airflow?

Thanks,
-Tony
Old 09-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "idle aiflow parked" table is in g/s vs. IAT, while the "idle airflow" table is in g/s vs. ECT.
I'm using EFI live, so the table names may be different in other programs.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

The idle airflow parked does not affect running airflow, its only used on startup. Thanks anyway.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
The idle airflow parked does not affect running airflow, its only used on startup. Thanks anyway.
the more i think about it the more i think that it effects running airflow. i changed my tables and it effected my running values. dont nkow if it was just freak or what. but when it was cooler out my hot idle needed 0.5 g/sec taken out and later in the day it wanted it back when it got hotter
Old 09-14-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

most have always said that it dosnt affect running airflow. but then again, I dont know how else temperature could manipulate RAF... Maybe there is something to this.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah i know all i haev read says this does nothing. but why in the world would we need a table to set the iac when at park? i would think once the key turns on it sets it to the right spot so why do we need it? u know. just try and add 20 g/sec and see what it does at idle. i have not done this yet but i wonder what it will change, if anything. all i know is when i set the values from 20 and up to 10g/sec it helped a lot of issues out. i know all the writeups talked about setting it really high and i have no idea why you would need to do that
Old 09-14-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think its for to aid hard starting, especially in the cold.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah but that is explained as ignition off, so once the key is on those numbers arent used
Old 09-14-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
yeah but that is explained as ignition off, so once the key is on those numbers arent used
I think those are just the first words that came to mind when they wrote that. Last winter I was having some hard starts when the temperature would drop to the single digits (dont ask what Im doing driving an f-body in those conditions!). Anyway, I would have to feather the gas pedal while starting to get it to kick. SO I took my trusty laptop out to the car and added 3 to 5 g/sec in the cold areas and the car then started with its usual authority. Im pretty sure its just a starting place for the engine's initial startup airflow before idle speed controls take over.

Anyone else have any information about wether this is used during normal running operation?