Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Chevy 5.3 STS Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 99 Chevy 5.3 STS Turbo

Hello, I am new here and just started working on the performance part of my turck. I have a 99 chevy Z71 5.3, We are going to get the Sts turbo and meth. injector for it along with high flow converters and headers. We are about to pull the engine out to get balanced but here is where it gets funky for us. We are wanting to pull the most power out of it as possable.
My question is that i need help with is
1. What heads will give us the most power
2. What pistons, rockers, lifters.
3. What cam.

I need as much help as possible that anyone can give me, we are building this engine to get as much out of it as we can. Please give sug. on products your rec. or that you have used. Thanks for the help in advanced.
I have attached a pic of the truck we are doing the work on.
Attached Thumbnails 99 Chevy 5.3 STS Turbo-copy-2-truck-1.jpg  
Old 09-13-2005, 09:28 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leanlow
Hello, I am new here and just started working on the performance part of my turck. I have a 99 chevy Z71 5.3, We are going to get the Sts turbo and meth. injector for it along with high flow converters and headers. We are about to pull the engine out to get balanced but here is where it gets funky for us. We are wanting to pull the most power out of it as possable.
My question is that i need help with is
1. What heads will give us the most power
2. What pistons, rockers, lifters.
3. What cam.

I need as much help as possible that anyone can give me, we are building this engine to get as much out of it as we can. Please give sug. on products your rec. or that you have used. Thanks for the help in advanced.
I have attached a pic of the truck we are doing the work on.
You might want to put this thread in the performancetrucks.net section. Most pistons are for the 5.7LS1 (3.898-3.905" Bores) or the 6.0 (4.000-4.030" Bores). I'm pretty sure that the 5.3 block can only be bored to 3.905". Most people on here are going to tell you that instead of rebuilding the 5.3 to go ahead and get the 6.0 block and build a forged 408.
But if you are stuck on using the 5.3 block, I say get some forged Diamond blower pistons 3.905", Eagle H-beam connecting rods, Eagle 4.000" crank. That would give you a built 383 that should handle a bunch of boost. Futral Motorsports sells Melling stock replacement lifters and I don't know what rockers to go with, I've heard stock ones are pretty good. The cam would have to be more for low-end to mid-range torque because of the 5000+lb Z71. I'd say a 228/226-114 for the 383 and a 234/232-114 for the 408. I'm sure some will tell you to go bigger but those are some big tires and a heavy truck. Nice truck by the way!

Quick Reply: 99 Chevy 5.3 STS Turbo