Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car is laying over on shifts

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car is laying over on shifts

ive been tuning my ve table and have got the ltrims real close, but now the problem is if i try and make a pass on the 1-2 shift (M6) the car feels good up to the shift but then the car feels really soft just as soon as its in the 2nd, just feels like it lost a bunch of power, i dont have any retard, and the car is on the stock 98 timing table, i am still in sd mode as im tuning the ve table..

any ideas? it didnt do this untill i began the ve tuning, so it leads me to believe its defenitely in the tune

Greg
Old 09-14-2005, 06:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you using a wideband? That is really the only way to do it right. If you are, you need to look at the map values it is falling into right after the shift and see how they are. You must be either rich or lean when you drop into those cells. What are you tuning with? IMO, FlashScan is the only way to go. Autotuning with a wideband is where its at!
Old 09-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

unfortunately im using the narrowbands still, software wise im using hptuners, and i cant complain, i think the biggest problem is the tuner

so i need to look into the map values in that area?

Greg
Old 09-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

i just looked at the log and i seems like the map values in the problem area drop from 101 to 97 and then back to 101 in what seems like just under a second
Old 09-15-2005, 12:18 PM
9 Second Club

It is tough using ST/LTFTs to really get the VE table its best - especially in the areas that you only fall into for a split second. You can end up putting in a bunch of fuel where you don't need it or vice versa.

Look at the STFT values - they can help give you a clue as to where you may have put too much fuel, or don't have enough.

Try putting a couple percent fuel in the cells that correspond to the RPM & MAP values where it falls over. If it gets worse, then take a little out. Without a wideband, its tough, but if you make small changes and see what the car likes, you can straighten it out somewhat.

I would really recommend you get a wideband - you won't believe how much better the tune will be - I won't tune without one. I look at it like this - what would you say if a machine shop said "I don't have any micrometers or a torque wrench, so I'm just gonna put your engine together with this ruler and breaker bar"
Old 09-15-2005, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

i totally agree on needing a wideband, ive been looking into it, but probably wont be spending the cash untill some major mods occur, still a bolt on car now...

Greg
Old 09-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

why is it my trims always go to 0 when im at wideopen, is it dur to being in pe,im not sure how i would go about checking the trims since they are alway zero at wo..

this ive been wondering for a while, ive assumed the pcm just dont read or update trims while in pe

Greg
Old 09-15-2005, 07:25 PM
9 Second Club

Trims are supposed to go to zero when you go into PE (WOT). The only thing you have to go on is the O2 sensor readings. That is also when a wideband comes into play, cause the narrowbands are not accurate at 13.0:1 you should be running at WOT. I would want the O2 readings to be in the .900 to .920 range, but that is still really just a rough idea. I can't stress how important it is and how much safer your car is when properly tuned with a wideband. You will also get a much better performing car. You should check into the new Innovate LC1 or the LM1 widebands - they are not really that much.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

im defenitely going to give the wb some more thought. during wide open my o2 are around 930-960 on the narrowband.

Greg
Old 09-15-2005, 08:16 PM
9 Second Club

That may be just a bit rich, but that is better than lean (as long as you aren't too rich). IMO, it would be the best $350 you could spend on your car!