New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interested in TA, need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in TA, need advice...

I was originally going to get a 99/01 Cobra, but after driving in my buddies BONE STOCK, AUTO, VERT, SS, I don't know how I can...

So I have a few questions...

What are some problems that come with the TA?

What's the difference between a WS6, and a regular TA?

What is a "Lid"?

What is a "cutout"?

people always talk about these 2 mods on LS1s.. Just wanted to know what they are

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Banned

If you look on the main screen on the forum, you'll see yellowed areas called "stickies". Read those and it will answer many of your questions.

To answer a couple, a "lid" is the top lid of the airbox where your airfilter is located. The factory one has al kinds of webbing that hurts performance. The aftermaket lids are smaooth internally and you'll gain 10 hp.

A "cutout" is a trapdoor that is welded in your exhaust system that when either unbolted or using one of the electric opening versions lets exhaust gasses bypass the muffler.

Hope this gets you started.
Plus, If you look at the right side of the edge 1/4 down every page you see" search this forum" Hold your mouse over that and type in a catch word and it will find plenty of info. Good luck!
Old 09-15-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

The sticky is your best bet.

But...

The WS6 was a performance upgrade and 98 to 00 were a bit different than 01 to 02. For one, in 01 to 02 the WS6 was an option for TA only and earlier it was available to the Formula.

The WS6 give the 2 nostriled hood that is a of a less heavy material and the lid is raised higher. It has bigger sway bar and polyeurethane bushings for better handling and comes with a 3.23 gear vs. the 2.73 in an A4 Trans Am but the M6 is the same at 3.43. Also, the WS6 reports a 10 HP gain in stock form over the base Trans Am.

As to any issues...

The car is used so have it checked out before buying or get an extended warranty (unless you plan on modding). If you plan on modding then you can forget about the extended warranty IMO.

Common problems with F-Bodies are passenger and driver side windows may start to rattle and generally means a window motor replacement. And, the pop up lights in some cases need to have a gear replaced or simply turned around from stripping (there is an aftermarket one made of brass vs. the stock plastic one).

Otherwise, the Trans Am is great and for myself the WS6 was not an option (I had to have it).

Jack
Old 09-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Launching!

I just wanted to make sure that NOT buying the WS6, wasn't a big deal.

As big as say, GT to Cobra.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ebear

Compared to that, TA to WS6 would be more like a ricer adding some stickers.

You get the same power. There are basically a few appearance differences and some slight suspension upgrades.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Junkie

they are both looked at by the insurance companies the same. to the insurance company the ws6 or the ss is a apperance option.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

WS6's look better IMO I've had both and was sorry the first time it wasn't a WS6. I got lucky my 2000 T/A went back to GM via the Lemon Law for a bad motor 5 yrs ago but I turned around and ordered a 2001 WS6. No problems, I will have my car 5 yrs in Nov.

Cars are mechanical, they can break down. Most complaints are rotors, power window motors<--cheap to fix sometimes leaking Ttops and the occasional 'piston slap' threads that never die here with no reported engine failures.

I can attest to 2 bad power window motors, 2 Delco batteries that took a dump and a few sail panels in the interior that warped. Other than the weak 10 bolt rear end unless you beat on it or race it with sticky tires it should last you for years of driving excitement
Old 09-15-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Your really only going to be able to tell a difference in handling.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:55 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I didn't buy a WS6, and I'm happy

It doesn't have to be a WS6 to be an enjoyable car. The base T/A is just as much fun. My choice betweeen the base T/A and a WS6 was based on styling. I'm not much of a fan of the ram air hood, and I liked the sleek lines of the base hood.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Just my .02 here, I got my WS6 August of 04. I love it. Just ogt headers and custom exhaust done my last trip home. I love it even more!! Theses cars are beautilful, fun, fast(Even in stock form) and get some attention when all shiney and ****.

Go with your gut, take a chance, if something breaks, come back to Tech and ask Q's, ther eisnt 1 person on here who wouldnt give ya some advice or the proper knowledge that you need to get it fixed. I love this place!!