Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F.A.S.T. XFI or BS3 for FI help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F.A.S.T. XFI or BS3 for FI help me decide

I am currently running nitrous on on my 95' lt1 m6. I am in the need of some tuning again and I am planning on turboing it in the future. So I want to buy a dfi setup and get some pactice before the turbo goes on.

this is the info I have retained so far!

Both systems include these key features:

1-5 bar map capatable
datalogging
boost control
real time tuning

Now I am told that the XFI also has:

knock retard
a plug and play harness for LT1
a external switch that lets switch to up to 4 tunes right on the dash

Does the big stuff 3 have a harness out for LT1 I was told I would have to use a sbc harness and cut splice all connectors, is this ture?

does an LT1 run on SFI or bank to bank stock? I was told I would have to run bank to bank

If anyone could shed some light on this I would appreciate it. THANKS
Old 09-15-2005, 08:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no experience with the FAST XFI, but I did recently switch from the old school fast to BS3 with staged injection on my turbo LT1.

When I bought my system it came with a SBC harness, and I had to splice in the connectors from my stock wiring harness. (which didn't really matter to me since I also wired in my stock PCM with it so my gauges would still work).

An LT1 running just off of the optispark will not be running sequential. To run sequential you must have a cam sensor input, which requires modifying the intake manifold for a "snub" sensor, or making something custom on the front timing cover and using a crank trigger along with it.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by INTMD8
I have no experience with the FAST XFI, but I did recently switch from the old school fast to BS3 with staged injection on my turbo LT1.

When I bought my system it came with a SBC harness, and I had to splice in the connectors from my stock wiring harness. (which didn't really matter to me since I also wired in my stock PCM with it so my gauges would still work).

An LT1 running just off of the optispark will not be running sequential. To run sequential you must have a cam sensor input, which requires modifying the intake manifold for a "snub" sensor, or making something custom on the front timing cover and using a crank trigger along with it.
doesnt sound like alot of fun
Old 09-15-2005, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Are you still runinng the opti and bank to bank? If so did you require a crank sensor to run it? How did you wire it?

So factory LT1's are bank to bank?
Old 09-15-2005, 09:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

69 Firebird- It was time consuming, but not complicated. Plug and play would be nice, but the results are worth the effort.

lt1fbody355-

IMHO the absolute -best- way to do it would be to run a cam sensor, crank trigger, and have the BS3 set up to fire LS1 coils.

I am just using an opti, stock coil, and a MSD digital 6. It is not truly sequential without a cam sensor. The biggest gains with sequential is driveability with a big injector, but I'm running 16 42lb injectors so this was not an issue for me. (and was previously not a problem with just 8 83lb injectors).

You would also have much better ignition timing accuracy with a crank trigger, but again, my cars tune is very conservative so having perfectly accurate timing that would allow me to run the car on the edge was also of little importance.

Stock LT1's are sequential, the problem is no aftermarket EFI (that I know of) can use the factory optispark cam sensor signal.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor / 7 Second Club

If you have a lt1 you should use jesel belt drive with cam and crank sensor with a 7 series msd that would fire a conventional msd distributer. As far as ecu's there are pros and cons to both would probly go with BS3 myself if we had to do it again on wormy's car
Old 09-15-2005, 10:30 PM
8 Second Club

I thought fast made an Lt1 harness? I was just on their site browsing around and I thought I saw something...give them a call they should be able to at least set it all up so it's plug and play but it might cost a few bucks more.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I run FAST on my own LT1, its great, but BS3 looks like my next step.

Jose
Old 09-17-2005, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

I think I'm goona go with the XFI.

It has a few more features.
Better software and user friendly, hell I've also learned alot how to use of the features just from thier online manual.
An almost plug and play LT1 harness.
better customer support.

Post your opinions.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

69 Firebird- It was time consuming, but not complicated. Plug and play would be nice, but the results are worth the effort.

lt1fbody355-

IMHO the absolute -best- way to do it would be to run a cam sensor, crank trigger, and have the BS3 set up to fire LS1 coils.

I am just using an opti, stock coil, and a MSD digital 6. It is not truly sequential without a cam sensor. The biggest gains with sequential is driveability with a big injector, but I'm running 16 42lb injectors so this was not an issue for me. (and was previously not a problem with just 8 83lb injectors).

You would also have much better ignition timing accuracy with a crank trigger, but again, my cars tune is very conservative so having perfectly accurate timing that would allow me to run the car on the edge was also of little importance.

Stock LT1's are sequential, the problem is no aftermarket EFI (that I know of) can use the factory optispark cam sensor signal.
Can you use the crank sensor as a crank tigger? My car is a 95' and has no crank sensor but have a 96' timing cover I can use..... If a crank sensor won't work where could I buy a crank tigger?

What are some things people have done to get a cam signal on an lt1? I want to keep the opti.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Ttt!!