Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

how critical is honing w/torque plates on FI engines? vs stock block machining?

Old 09-15-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default how critical is honing w/torque plates on FI engines? vs stock block machining?

Yea, so how many FI guys have and have not had their aluminum block cylinders honed with torque plates? I am considering that vs a brand new GM block that is ready to accept stock size pistons. Is it absolutely necessary on say a 600hp aluminum block FI engine? Does FI make a torque-plate honed block any more necessary, or will new factory bores be fine?

Anyone know where to find an aluminum 5.3L block?
Old 09-15-2005, 10:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor / 7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is CRITICAL on any fresh engine. Even a brand new block Give a call they can get you squared away
Old 09-17-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

come on guys, post up! who has a torque-plate honed block and who doesn't?!
Old 09-17-2005, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

you should always use a deck plate for any boring or honing of cylinders. it causes oil compsumtion if you don't
Old 09-17-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

It is critical but I believe it is even more so on the 5 bolt older generation SBC's due to much more bore distortion from the un even 5 bolt spacing.....

There are plenty of LS1 plates out there.

Just for kicks I was thinking about having 2 DSM block 4 bolt per hole like LS1 and I have 3 of them... any way ... bored out .020 one with a plate and one without and measure the difference.. Then do it to a old 305 boat anchor block or something one bank plate one without...

I really do think its less critical on the LS1 v the SBC but considering the minimal effort and extra minimal expense.. Just use a plate.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

I've freshened two famous LS1s here on LS1tech that were not honed with a torque plate. After installing and torquing both down with the plates and starting to hone them just to get my crosshatch back I noticed 4 large depressions below the bolt holes on both. It took almost .002 just to clean up on both but both went on to make more power and beat almost any one else out there here in Houston and in another city up North! One ran 9.6xs after being freshend on motor and the other one probably mid lower tens.

We have 4 diffrerent torque plates to correspond to the different bore sizes we have and build at my shop. I don't even hone blocks without torque plates as on some blocks you will see OVER .002 distortion and Moly rings will not seal on that. We also use the same gasket you will use on your own engine as well since again it can have a fairly big impact.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how critical is honing w/torque plates on FI engines? vs stock block machining?