i know fbodies are pieces of shit, but damn...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i know fbodies are pieces of ****, but damn...

i started hearing a rattling/clunking noise coming from the rear while i was driving last night. kept hearing it, then after a few blocks, i turned right, and saw some metal piece fall from the car. came back around and picked it up, then started making my way back home. few more blocks, i heard something else fall off, and the clunking got louder.

i thought my rear end was going out, but how? i dont drive it hard. finally limped it home because i didnt know what was going on. look under the car, and one of the brackets that holds the rear end of the exhaust (over axle pipe) somehow lost a bolt, and the bracket fell off. that's the part i went back and picked up. dunno what the other one was since there was too much traffic.

so the muffler and piping was kind of lose and hitting the car when i'd go over bumps. just sucks, i had my t-tops off, jammin some tunes, car was clean, then parts start falling off from under the car. oh man...

bought another bolt, and put the bracket back in place.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

I feel your pain.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah it happens, 4th gens still hold up way better than the 3rd gen cars do. Mostly all 3rd gens that were daily driven at some point have stress cracks. Rather have a crappy stock muffler than my car crack
Old 09-18-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

My favorite display of GM's poor engineering was in my old Monte Carlo SS. Driving home one night, I hit a small bump in the rode and felt a very loud SCRAPE from the driver's side rear. I went about another block and pulled into a gas station, where it scraped again and felt like it was trying to pull the whole rearend off the car. I looked underneath and the bolt that holds the shock to the rearend was sheared off. So every time I hit a bump, the shock would scrape on the ground. I limped the car home (about 5 miles) with the hazards on, then made a late night trip to Autozone for a new bolt.

-Mike
Old 09-19-2005, 01:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dont worry man, my Y pipe is cracking in half pretty much and my car sounds like hammered dog ****, who would have thought a tuned and cammed Fbody would sound bad
Old 09-19-2005, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

I kept hearing a rattle in the rear of the car (like coins rattleing on metal) everytime I turned to the left. I tore the whole interior pieces out by the spare. Found one penny in the bottom of the spare tire well. Took it for a test drive and it was still there. Comt to find out, both bolts that hold up the tip ends on my Borla were gone. Replaced bolts, never heard the rattle again.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Had my '02 for about a week, and I heard that rattle/vibration whenever the car would idle when Id take off with any quickness, Id hear a loud BANG. Took it to the dealer to find out that the tranny mount had gone bad....
Old 09-19-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Had my '02 for about a week, and I heard that rattle/vibration whenever the car would idle when Id take off with any quickness, Id hear a loud BANG. Took it to the dealer to find out that the tranny mount had gone bad....
typical!
Old 09-19-2005, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one thing that comes to mind that i dont like is how the fender is connected to the body. it looks like a strong place to place a lift. when you come up with it, the fender bends out. then yo ugotta ben dit back in and reposition thel ift. lol
Old 09-20-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rumblebox
one thing that comes to mind that i dont like is how the fender is connected to the body. it looks like a strong place to place a lift. when you come up with it, the fender bends out. then yo ugotta ben dit back in and reposition thel ift. lol
Never been dumb enough to do that.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rumblebox
You tried lifting an F-body by the fender?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ashzero
i started hearing a rattling/clunking noise coming from the rear while i was driving last night. kept hearing it, then after a few blocks, i turned right, and saw some metal piece fall from the car. came back around and picked it up, then started making my way back home. few more blocks, i heard something else fall off, and the clunking got louder.

i thought my rear end was going out, but how? i dont drive it hard. finally limped it home because i didnt know what was going on. look under the car, and one of the brackets that holds the rear end of the exhaust (over axle pipe) somehow lost a bolt, and the bracket fell off. that's the part i went back and picked up. dunno what the other one was since there was too much traffic.

so the muffler and piping was kind of lose and hitting the car when i'd go over bumps. just sucks, i had my t-tops off, jammin some tunes, car was clean, then parts start falling off from under the car. oh man...

bought another bolt, and put the bracket back in place.
thats some funny ****. i lost a center cap once taking a corner. same situation, clean car, jams, and parts to spare....lol.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all other unibody cars have that rail on both sides where you put the lift. this fender mount looks like one, so i always see F bods with the fender bent out and have to straighten it back up. even mine was like that when i bought it.