Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LID and free/first mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LID and free/first mods

Ok...Im probally getting my LS1 this week....Ive got a few i need to look at tomorrow. I am wondering about some of the first mods.

Ive looked around here about the lid and all it says is to get one. What does it do? (less air restriction??) Ive heard that some say to stay away from SLP...ok..then who has good ones? Should I get a lid and a cold air induction?? or just the cold air induction?

Next the one of the "Free Mods" the RAM AIR. Is this safe? dont feel like killing my car in the first week of owning it.

Thanks

Kurt
PS Im new here and have been searching the previous forums, so please refrain from flaming me.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/381682-free-mod-concerns-confused.html Check this out. Also make sure you read and understand the stickies at the top of each forum. Usually if you read through them they can answer pretty much any question you have. As far as my own thoughts I think that pretty much all free mods are not worth the work you put into doing them. Definitly don't descreen your maf. When I first bought my car I checked the air filter and when I pulled it out I looked at the maf screen and there was a fair amount of debris stuck to it so mine will never come out. Besides thats never been proven to increase power anyhow. Same with most free mods. Welcome aboard.

Last edited by blue01ta; 09-17-2005 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just don't understand why people don't read sticky's. Sorry that I chose your thread out of the 10 or so on the first page asking the same general question that is covered in the first few threads (sticky's) at the top of the page. But I guess ya gotta start somewhere.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

some things from slp are great (lid), somethings are not(headers). You'll just have to search the forums to find more specifics. I have an slp lid because it was 20 bucks cheaper than the MTI lids. As far as lids go, any of the well known manufacturers are good.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 777
I just don't understand why people don't read sticky's. Sorry that I chose your thread out of the 10 or so on the first page asking the same general question that is covered in the first few threads (sticky's) at the top of the page. But I guess ya gotta start somewhere.

I looked through some of the stickies....and wanted a "Fresh" answer. Why, if this question has been asked so many times...did you "Waste" your time answering it? If you dont like what I asked....then dont waste your time replying to me.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

got search?
Old 09-18-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by firefitn
I looked through some of the stickies....and wanted a "Fresh" answer. Why, if this question has been asked so many times...did you "Waste" your time answering it? If you dont like what I asked....then dont waste your time replying to me.
The stickies are "fresh" we keep them updated. I answered so you wouldn't make more posts that asked things that have already been discussed many many time before. All it does is slow down the site for the rest of us.

If it wasn't asked so many times, why has every single reply to your question either search or read the stickies

FYI I'm not wasting my time by replying to your thread, it is my responsibility on this board to point people in the right direction and "moderate" this section of the board. I prefer to help people who help themselves. Good quote "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life." Not saying you won't have any questions down the road, but they shouldn't be ones that are answered almost everyday.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SoCalZ28
Granatelli Motor Sports has quite a bit of stuff for the F-Body's. Their air lid is taller than most other allowing for more air flow. They also have a performance MAF, lots of suspension stuff, ultra light weight fly wheel, timing chain, valve springs, the Diablo Sport Programmer, 200 MPH Speedo and performance ignition wires with less than 1 ohm of resistance! They probably have more that I forget about... but check em out. 805-486-6644 www.granatellimotorsports.com

ha, nice plug.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by firefitn
Ok...Im probally getting my LS1 this week....Ive got a few i need to look at tomorrow. I am wondering about some of the first mods.

Ive looked around here about the lid and all it says is to get one. What does it do? (less air restriction??) Ive heard that some say to stay away from SLP...ok..then who has good ones? Should I get a lid and a cold air induction?? or just the cold air induction?

Next the one of the "Free Mods" the RAM AIR. Is this safe? dont feel like killing my car in the first week of owning it.

Thanks

Kurt
PS Im new here and have been searching the previous forums, so please refrain from flaming me.
The whole purpose of a whisper lid is to allow smoother air flow to your MAF and intake manifold. If you lift up your stock air lid, you'll notice a bunch of small air dams that restrict alot of air flow, above that you have something that is shaped like a fat shoe horse, that is a silencer which also restricts alittle air flow. By removing your stock air lid and replacing it with an after market whisper lid, it will allow cooler air flow to your engine, alittle bit better gas mileage and a few more horses. (Recommend Granittelli Motorsports, Thunderracing or SLP whisper lids) As for the LS1 "free mods"... Strongly recommend. Start with removing your EGR. For more info, go to www.installuniversity.com GOOD LUCK
Old 08-26-2006, 04:52 AM
On The Tree

free mods ftw
Old 08-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=777]The stickies are "fresh" we keep them updated. QUOTE]

Not necessarily...check the sticky "Need to lookup an SES Code? look here" in PCM Diagnostics and Tuning. The page that is linked isn't up anymore.