Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problems with McLeod Explosion Proof Bellhousing

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 06:45 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Problems with McLeod Explosion Proof Bellhousing

Just wondering if anyone else has had trouble with the McLeod Scattershield? I installed one last weekend and have trouble with it. I noticed that I couldn't shift fast at high rpms. I thought that maybe I had air in the hydraulic clutch so I bleed it many times no change. Then I pulled the tranny back out and shimmed the slave. Still no luck. Then I changed my clutch master cylinder and still couldn't shift it at high rpms. So I thought what if that damn McLeod Bellhousing is longer than the stock aluminum bellhousing. So I pulled the tranny again and set the McLeod and Stock Bellhousing on a flat floor and placed a piece of steel over them. The damn McLeod Bellhousing is longer by the thickness of the plate that goes between the flywheel and the block. So as you can figure I am pretty pissed now. I installed the stock bellhousing back in and everything is good to go.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, can't anyone build anything that works anymore.
I would be pissed too. I guess there not on back order anymore? I'm glad you posted this. I still need one
Old 09-18-2005, 09:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah agree. You have to grind on the bellhousing where the slave cylinder bleeder is and you have to grind on it some where some of the bolts go because they don't give you enough room to get the bolt in. The head of the bolt would hit the bellhousing not allowing you to put the bolt in.

COULD SOMEONE MAKE ONE THAT IS A DIRECT BOLT IN AND WORKS.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:45 AM
10 Second Moderator

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
Yeah agree. You have to grind on the bellhousing where the slave cylinder bleeder is and you have to grind on it some where some of the bolts go because they don't give you enough room to get the bolt in. The head of the bolt would hit the bellhousing not allowing you to put the bolt in.

COULD SOMEONE MAKE ONE THAT IS A DIRECT BOLT IN AND WORKS.
I'll second that...I need one too but dont want it to fight me putting it in, I have a torch and will win. Don't want to mess up the SFI cert though.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:57 PM
CRI
Teching In

I damn near ruined my grinder on mine. I was pretty unhappy about the overall fit and finish of the product. I'd like to speak to their engineers about bolt head clearances and flat mounting surfaces. I have had problems with that motor plate rattling like there is no tomorrow. I will probably just pull it out in the coming weeks. I'm not really going to be needed an SFI certification anyway.

Quick Reply: Problems with McLeod Explosion Proof Bellhousing