Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

which clutch to buy?

Old 09-18-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default which clutch to buy?

okay...I have a 01 SS. i'm looking to get a new clutch now. I want to get a lightweight flywheel also. My car is stock bsides a lid and a catback. I'm not planning on doing anything major except for headers for a while. I would just take the plunge and get a spec 3 but i;ve read to many threads about them going out before 10k miles. I'm looking for a clutch that doesn't need a break in period and can hold a lil more than stock power. i'm never planning on making more than 400 at the wheels. Any suggestion? shoudl i stick with the stock setup? i think it was the zo6 setup? or a spec stage 1? the slp package? i've done a lil researching...and its like 50% say go with spec..and the otehr 50% say its junk.

also..its my daily driver..I put about 350-400 miles a week on it. I also don't want a spec 3 because its my daily driver and I can't afford ti have it done for days on end if the clutch does go..plus paying someone to pull it out if something does happen..hence i don't want somethign that needs a breaking period.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:37 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spec 3 or Ram Powergrip.
You cant really go wrong with either one.
And driving style has alot to do with how long your clutch will last.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Spec 3 or Ram Powergrip.
You cant really go wrong with either one.
And driving style has alot to do with how long your clutch will last.

is there a break in period on the powergrip? the reasonw hy I want to stay away froma spec 3 is because the life..its my dd..i have to apy to have someone to install it..and pay someone to take it out if it gets fucked up..i'm a college student adn don't have money to throw around. i've jsut read to many threads of the clutch getting fucked up for one reason or another.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm not doing anything major to my car for about 3 or so years. So until then I think I'm going with the LS6 clutch until about 3 or 4 years when I go H/C and get a Textralia clutch.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:05 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
is there a break in period on the powergrip? the reasonw hy I want to stay away froma spec 3 is because the life..its my dd..i have to apy to have someone to install it..and pay someone to take it out if it gets fucked up..i'm a college student adn don't have money to throw around. i've jsut read to many threads of the clutch getting fucked up for one reason or another.
I am in the same boat as you, but I have had mine in for almost 20,000 miles and even occaisionally beat on it. Doesnt slip a lick.
I think that the powergrip is like 250 miles or something, but I have heard that some people dont really break in the clutch and it works just fine. just dont drop the hammer on it for about an entire tank of gas city driving and you should be fine. Clutches are not hard to install just a PITA to get the transmission out.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Launching!

I have the RAM VDS 900/900. Ive only driven it 400 miles but it seems to be very grabby and supposedly supports over 700whp.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:19 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

so really it is 6 of one half dozen another. You get the one that seems to be more pleasing to you. That is what I did, and btw there is a new and an old version of the SPEC line of clutches, and the new ones have less complaints.
Make sure you find out how long the "complainers" have had their clutches. I think that the old ones were almost year and a half 2 years ago.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

well..i haven't read any complaints about stage 1 and stage 2..are there problems with those? I think most people have trouble witht he spec3 because of the break in period..which i don't feel like dealing with. I've never drag raced my car..and am only planning on doing it once or twice jsut to see what it can do. Would the zo6 setup be good for this...liek i said before..only gonna be doing headers...and maybe a cam..but i doubt it since i'm gonna go fi in a few years and don't want to swtich to a new cam for that.

and I just don't have the tools, time..ect to do the clutch myself...so if somethign did go wrong with the spec 3..then i'd have to pay someone to pull it..also pay shipping to spec to look at it...and then pay for someone to reinstall it again...its just something i don't want to chance...and i've read a few recent complaints about them, and they took car of it, but thats not the problem...the problem is the shippings, pulling and reinstalling....to to mention the time that the car will be down.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

The Spec 2 should be sufficient for you and I believe has small break in period. I have the Spec 3 and broke it in properly and it is great on the street. Havent been to the trak yet with new setup. Should hold fine. I had a LS6 clutch with full bolt-ons and it went up it SMOKE w/Nitto DRs at the track. Don't waste you money on it unless car is very close to stock and yo will not be racing it.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:51 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

only gonna be doing headers...and maybe a cam..but i doubt it since i'm gonna go fi in a few years and don't want to swtich to a new cam for that.
You say that now... I was in the same place 2 years ago. BTW You can get an FI cam that will work fine NA as well. but 1 and 2 are near stock feeling 2 does grab a little more. All you have to do to break it in honestly... is dont beat the hell out of it for like a week.

Last edited by orangeapeel; 09-18-2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Launching!

why risk go through 2 or 3 spec 3 for it to work proper, just pick up textralia with new composet lighten flywheel for little over 1G. just about anyone have tex clutch like it.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:07 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by lsp408
why risk go through 2 or 3 spec 3 for it to work proper, just pick up textralia with new composet lighten flywheel for little over 1G. just about anyone have tex clutch like it.
Do you need to have an adjustable master with this setup? or is one recommended?
Old 09-18-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lsp408

umm..because i'm a broke college student..and my car is fairly stock..and staying that way for a while. i don't havew 1g to spend on jsut a clutch w/o installation.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Do you need to have an adjustable master with this setup? or is one recommended?
most of people don't need it, there are very few people use adj master either for the release point of padel or use adj master to conpensate the air in the system!!!
i put one tex in my car (no adj master)and the same time i did drill mod. everything works good. it has good engagement point and effortless padel pressure. no chartter for me at all(except when break in period). its been a amazing clutch for me!!!

p.s. i broke my rear end on the street because of couple 1st,2nd and 3rd power shift!!!
this clutch will give you very solid feel when you need it and can drive like stock clutch
Old 09-18-2005, 11:05 PM
Launching!

umm..because i'm a broke college student..and my car is fairly stock..and staying that way for a while. i don't havew 1g to spend on jsut a clutch w/o installation.
i am also a student, i know how you feel, if you don't want to spend the $$$, just get you zo6 clutch. it seems to held up pretty good!!!, btw where you live, if not too far from me, you can drive here over weekend and i put it in for you. it's no big deal change clutch
Old 09-19-2005, 01:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

what do you all think of the centerforce dual friction clutch? im looking into buying one and need some feed back....thnx!
Old 09-19-2005, 06:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RICEBURNER
what do you all think of the centerforce dual friction clutch? im looking into buying one and need some feed back....thnx!

sucks *****. very heavy pedal and don't held for ****
Old 09-24-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

well, i dont want a tex right now...little to pricey...got any other ideas? i need a clutch that will stand up to abuse....
Old 09-24-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RICEBURNER
well, i dont want a tex right now...little to pricey...got any other ideas? i need a clutch that will stand up to abuse....
i'm still waiting to hear if the ls7 clutch and l2s flywheel will bolt up to a ls1 and work properly..cause that'll be my setup if it does.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: which clutch to buy?