Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Priming the LS6 oil pump....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 09:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Priming the LS6 oil pump....

Well, we're about ready to fire up my LS1... finally. We cranked it over tonight trying to get oil pressure but I about drained the battery doing this and never got any oil pressure on the gauge. We thought maybe the gage wasn't working right, but it is and I looked in the valve cover to see if oil was up there and it's not. Will I have to start it to prime the pump or what? I know I talked to alot of guys about this when I had the engine on the stand and they said that LS1's fire up and build pressure almost instantly... is that true or BS? I'm wondering if the starter just can't spin the motor fast enough to prime itself. Anyone????

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2005, 09:24 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think the starter has enough ***** to build oil pressure. I have a heavy duty slp pump and I never got any pressure on the guage after about 15 serc on priming. I plugged my coil packs back in and fired it up and within 2 seconds it was sitting at about 50psi. If you start it make sure it doesn't go anymore than a few sec without oil.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:24 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine fired right up when it I replaced it with cam install. I have never heard of this being an issue really.
What kind of battery do you have?
Old 09-18-2005, 09:28 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

plus if you think about it the oil pump spins at the same rate as the crank, I would assume the starter cant crank the motor at anything more than 100rpm tops so would think that the starter wouldn't be able to make 10psi at the pumpm, let alone the whole system. Since the oil pump sits on the crank i believe that it will build pressure within 2 seconds considering you have oil in the pan and you didn't f** up your pickup tube.

Hope this helps
Old 09-18-2005, 09:31 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah guys, I know it is directly driven off the crank (I built the engine) and I figured it would build pressure almost instantly after startup... I just want to confirm this. I do have good assembly lube on everything so it should be fine for a few seconds without oil pressure. Guess we'll just try to fire it up and see. Hope the key shuts it back off right away if it doesn't build pressure... otherwise my *** will be jumping out of the car to disconnect the coil packs or something. LOL Wish me luck... should be running tomorrow night!
Old 09-18-2005, 09:37 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't get your hopes up! It will work damnit!
Old 09-18-2005, 09:38 PM
9 Second Club

We'll see... I'll let you guys know how it goes!
Old 09-19-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

This is a big issue with LS1 engines. The pumps put out good pressure but they take forever to prime. I took out the oil pressure sender with a $5 socket from Napa, put a rubber hose down there and a small funnel and poured in a quart of oil. Put the sender back in, crank it with the starter (spark plugs out) ,, had 40 lb in about 8 seconds.
Put the plugs in and fire it up knowing that you will have pressure.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry. What I did was 5 cylces of the starter for 15 second bursts, no spark plugs in the engine. I had to hook up a charger to keep the battery from draining. Never saw any pressure on the gauge, and I was worried about it. Gave up, went ahead and started her up. Oil pressure came up right away.

The starter only spins the engine at 40 rpm or so, not fast enought to make any pressure.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ive tried to starter prime my oil pump in the past...i dont see any oil pressure when i do this..nor do i see any oil coming out of the rockers...i think the best thing to do is assembly lube, and stating it
Old 09-19-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

i just filled up my oil filter and my pressure jumped straight up after about 3 or 4 seconds of the motor running.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:19 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks guys... I think we'll just try and fire her up... I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by racecar
This is a big issue with LS1 engines. The pumps put out good pressure but they take forever to prime. I took out the oil pressure sender with a $5 socket from Napa, put a rubber hose down there and a small funnel and poured in a quart of oil. Put the sender back in, crank it with the starter (spark plugs out) ,, had 40 lb in about 8 seconds.
Put the plugs in and fire it up knowing that you will have pressure.
I am getting ready to start as well, where is the sender?

One other thought on this matter, with the "non-sealing" gerotor in the oil pump, it would seem to me that the pump and the pickup tube would drain down after every extended shut down anyhow. Can't see how it would stop any drainback to the pan with the oil hot.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Banned

I just finished my rebuild ....I also tried priming it but the Optima red top went dead after 6-7 times of cranking and no oil pressure was showing..so I just went ahead and fired it up. It had oil pressure in a matter of a couple of seconds. My opinion, I wouldn't worry to much about it but don't let it go more than a couple of seconds without any oil pressure. Keep an eye on the guage.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:32 AM
9 Second Club

I put a better battery from my GTP into the GTA last night and it cranked alot faster but still no oil pressure. I said screw it... we finished soldering all the wiring and fired it up. It would only run for a few seconds b/c the PCM is cutting fuel/injectors b/c of a few codes we need to delete/disable. It probably ran for 3-4 seconds and at 800 rpms or so it INSTANTLY was building oil pressure... more each time we fired it again.

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Priming the LS6 oil pump....