Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

how do i bypass this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default how do i bypass this?

I have a 94 Trans Am with aftermarket headunit and speakers. I would search for this but I don't know what to search for but here is my best explanation. When I turn off my car the stereo continues to play music until I open my door. When any of the doors open that is when the power to the radio is shut off. So how do I make it turn off when I turn off the key and quit the door crap?
Old 09-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try your owners manual. It's called RAP - retained accessory power.

It should turn off within 10 minutes if you don't open any doors.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:12 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

RAP is not a programmable option - you can't get rid of it by setting options like you can with the alarm system. It is a subsystem of the BCM that provides battery power to the RADIO fuse and the WINDOWS circuit breaker for about 10 minutes after the ignition is turned off (or until a door is opened).

I don't understand why you would find this annoying (it allows you to roll up power windows after turning off the car and listen to the stereo without having the car running) but the only way to disable it is to cut the dark blue wire at the BCM and connect it to a regular ignition-controlled power source. If only the radio connection is annoying then it would be easier to change the radio connection from using the yellow power wire in the original harness to an alternate ignition-controlled power source.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just turn off the radio before shutting off the car?
Bypass the RAP feature. . .