Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What Clutch and whats needed for swap version 1.332454353

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What Clutch and whats needed for swap version 1.332454353

I'm sure you all are tired of these threads.... but I have searched, and there really hasn't been one that answered my questions.

I'm in the market for a replacement clutch. Stats on the car:

1. It will probably remain a bolt on only car for at least the next year... I am making some life changing decisions and spending money modding my car is not in alignment with those choices. For those of you that are curious... I'm tired of renting and flushing my money down the toilet... I want a home... and I have a GF of 3 years that is dying to become an honest woman.

2. It is a daily driver.... and I will probably never ever take it to the track... it will probably never have slicks.... and the car does enjoy spirited runs, and the occaisional street race

3. The headers and the Under Drive pulley are going to be the last things I sink money into mod wise on the car until at least a year.

4. My eventual goals for the car is modest.... I would be happy with anything from 350 - 400 RWHP. 400RWHP being the extreme and highly unlikely... and 350 being what I hope to be near with my headers. Just so you know... I have an iron will.... and can resist big power mods (AKA the GF wont let me spend the money, so that I can better save for other future plans)

Compromises I am willing to make:

1. Chatter.... I can deal with chatter. Thats what my exhaust and stereo are there for

2. Drivability.... I am willing to make some sacrifices in drivability for better grip... but it is my DD... I want it to be reasonabe.

3. Price.... I would like to keep it as economical as possible... but I know that this is not one of the parts you want to be cheap about... so as stupid as this sounds... I want to get the best part for my needs... at the cheapest price.....meaning.... right now there is roughly a $70 difference between the ram and the Spec..... if they both fit my needs... then I will go with the ram.

That being said.... I have looked into just doing the LS6 clutch (which is what I have now), the Ramgrip HD (which seems like a good package), as well as the Spec Stage III. With my goals for the car... what do you all suggest?

LS6 swap from SDPC looks like it is a complete replacement. Will this fit my needs?

Ramgrip includes all of the clutch stuff, but they also recommend a flywheel... or at least a resurfacing.

Spec 3... looks like a package similar to the ramgrip.. but I have not read anything about flywheel requirements.

Do all of these aftermarket packages include the Pressure Plate? I know the Z06 kit does....

I have read bad things about all of these clutches...... so I will keep that in mind.

Final question.... what are all of the little parts needed for a clutch swap(Misc bearings, Hydraulics, flywheel, etc etcetc)? I have the upgraded hydraulics... should I replace them too?

thanks for your tolerance and inputs

Last edited by SporkLover; 09-19-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

At 350 HP I would go Z06 and call it a day.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol... thanks for the answer.

Im looking at 350 RWHP.... still Z06 right?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yep, Z06.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:36 PM
Launching!

If your flywheel is not hurt then I would not waste the extra money on the complete ls6 kit.

at gmpartsdirect.com these are the part numbers for an 01 z28, i can check to see if they are the same for your car.....should be.

Clutch Disc 12570280 $176
Pressure Plate 12558351 $65

Grand total for a ls6 replacement of $241 + whatever it costs to have your flywheel resurfaced at a local machine shop.