Drivers ed in a box?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drivers ed in a box?

Has anyone used any of the software for training a teen to drive? My 15yr old is wanting to get started on getting a permit. I tried the parent-taught program with my son and it was a nightmare! He ended up just taking the test when he turned 18. Too many forms and workbooks. Any advice, besides forking over the $ to a driving school?

Thanks
-Mark
Old 09-19-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat. My daughter turns 15 next week. I've been giving her tips as we come up on situations (blind intersection, emergency vehicle approaching, Asian driver in front of us -J/K ). I have the last two or three driving tests (which I scored 100%) and was thinking of giving her tests until she can take them without missing a question.

Anyway, let me know if you find anything by posting on this thread.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I myself did the drivers ed in a box and it was a good program. At the time it was a lot of watching videos and answering questions / taking test to get ready for the real test. I'm sure now the program is better and might be set up where you can take it on the computer.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

just send her to the school. great 250 dollar investment IMHO
Old 09-19-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

we did the parent taught program, all you really have to do now is fill out that last form that they need with different dates and sign a paper and he can get his license without having to take a written or driviing test...just make sure he can really drive for our sake
Old 09-19-2005, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

It's my daughter. I've heard they're less cocky than boys are. With my son, we drove in parking lots, talked alot, read the book. I thought he had the hang of it. Plus, he was 18 so we thought he was pretty mature. When he got his licence, and his own car, the first thing he did was accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake & run into the garage door. The next thing he did was lean way over to wave at me when he saw me driving my camaro, got over in my lane & basically ran me off the road. Then he looked up "just for a second" and rear-ended a pickup, setting off the air bag & wrinkling the front end nicely. This was all in a 2-week period. That boy will never drive my car. I'm sure everyone's got stories like this, though. Probably wouldn't have mattered if he was in a class instead of the parent-taught thing. I just don't want to have to deal with all the paper, and I don't have the $300 for a class right now. Does the software automatically keep track of what she's doing & take her through the lessons, or is it more printing & teaching? If it is, I'll just do it the (free) hard way, like last time.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1M
That boy will never drive my car.
LOL

Thats how I feel about my son. We're giving our daughter the convertible Geo Metro (cheap 1st car, which always gets ruined). My son always tells her "So, Im gonna get Dad's car when I'm old enough". I reply with a sarcastic "Yeah, right..."

I liked reading about some LS1Tech parent who used LS1Edit or HPTuners to put a Speed limit in his sons car at 35 mph. Just enough for him to take the streets to work or school. That sounds like something I would do.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Banned

i think the school is well worth the money, and probably saves the parents a ton of stress