Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning help please

I have a 93 z28. I was planning on doing just a heads/cam swap but after taking the heads off and seeing that a couple rings were bad it turned into a full rebuild. Anyway everything was just completed and the cam was broken in and now the car runs with the stock tune.. I am planning on doing a dynotune on the car, but problem is that I need to break in the engine now before dynotuning. Originally I was planning on just having my buddies shop just hook it up to a wide band and just do a quick street tune on the car for free, but then I found out that they don't have a chip burner (93's have a chip), SO, MY QUESTION IS, CAN I JUST DRIVE THE CAR RIGHT NOW AS IS WITH STOCK TUNING FOR 500 MILES FOR THE BREAKING IN THE MOTOR, OR WILL I RUN INTO PROBLEMS? IF SO, WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT TUNING FOR THE FIRST 500 MILES?? (OBVIOUSLY I DONT WANT TO SPEND MUCH, BEING THAT I WILL BE SPENDING $400+ IN 500 MILES FOR A DYNO TUNE.) I have read that idle, and light throttle acceleration A/F ratios are based off the O2 sensors and "hard programmed" into the ECU assuming you run it on closed loop... does that mean that I would be straight driving the car around for the first 500 miles without any tune what so ever, assuming I don't get on the gas much? How much is the stock tune off by... will there be detonation if I have to get on the gas a little as some point while driving the car? (last thing I want to do is f()ck up this motor this soon)