Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1870 DTC Sanity Check

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1870 DTC Sanity Check

When I put in the rebuilt Level 3 Transmission and fired it up I put in 7 quarts of ATF and drove it literaly around the block. Checked the level and it was low so I added a quart. With it at 8 quarts, I took it about 5 blocks to the auto store and picked up more ATF. Checked the level and added 1/2 quart. Took it on an easy 30 mile trip, watching my Tranny temp guage, and noticed that it hit 205. Checked the level and it was low, so I added another 1/2 quart. Made the 30 mile trip back to my house and let her sit over nite.

Fired it up and let it warm up, notice it still wasn't in the "Hot" cross hatch so I upped it to a full 9 quarts. Today I just checked it again, and it's at the bottom of the cross hatch when the tranny temp is 140 so I figure I need to add at least another 1/4th to 1/2 quart.

Could the low tranny fluid cause the P1870 Transmission Component Slipping DTC to be thrown.

The DTC hasn't been thrown and the Tranny temp hasn't gotten over 190 since I passed the 9 quart mark.

Oh, and yes, I have an aftermarket Vigilante Torque Converter, the verter had some fluid in it when I installed it, but the Tranny was bone dry. I also have an over sized Summit Tranny pan on it.

Last edited by Ouija; 09-20-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1870 code...

Yes the code can be thrown from being low on fluid from the torque converter slipping. The only other way to throw the code is worn valve body bore to bad lining on the converter.