Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sheet Metal intake and Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sheet Metal intake and Nitrous

Is this a good idea or bad? I have been told that a sheet metal intake puts you into a higher power band. Is this a good idea with nitrous or would the fast 90/90 setup work better? Also with a direct port kit is this a good idea? Need some opinions on this before dropping some serious cash on a intake and direct port setup. BTW my cars cam and setup is geared towards nitrous not all motor. Thanks Again for everyones Help.. Jim
Old 09-20-2005, 03:06 PM
FormerVendor

Personally I think you might gain more from the Fast 90/90 intake. The sheet metal intakes are more geared for full out race cars. We have a solid roller 383 with a small street cam (263\272 .743"\.720" lift). We ended up going with the fast set up over the sheet metal intakes. If we were using a larger cam with a more race only set up then it might have been a different story.

How big of a shot do you plan on spraying?

Matt

Originally Posted by ApacheDrill
Is this a good idea or bad? I have been told that a sheet metal intake puts you into a higher power band. Is this a good idea with nitrous or would the fast 90/90 setup work better? Also with a direct port kit is this a good idea? Need some opinions on this before dropping some serious cash on a intake and direct port setup. BTW my cars cam and setup is geared towards nitrous not all motor. Thanks Again for everyones Help.. Jim
Old 09-20-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well see thats were i am running into a wall. I am in the middle of a cam swap now, here is the cam i am going to be running.. TR 244/252 .612/.632 113lsa +3* adv. ground in. I am running a 3800 stall in a TH 350 and have GTP Stage 2 Heads and a few other mods on a 6.0 Iron Block, i was running a TR 236, but i felt it was to mild cam for my setup and i was giving up to much power. The car is not a daily driver and is pretty much only used at the track and a occasional local cruise or car show. I want to spray atleast 200 shot on it with direct port and work it up to possibly 300 shot.

What it comes down to is bang for the buck with a Nitrous setup. The prices are pretty similar between the two setups. Of course if i go with the fast intake it will have it ported and if i go with the sheet metal intake i will go 90 MM on the throttle body. Should have given more info.. Again thanks for your help on this.

I was really hoping the NX 85 mm intake would be out by now and go with that setup. But the cam should be here any day and the car needs to get back together, so i need to make a choice soon.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:40 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Well see thats were i am running into a wall. I am in the middle of a cam swap now, here is the cam i am going to be running.. TR 244/252 .612/.632 113lsa +3* adv. ground in. I am running a 3800 stall in a TH 350 and have GTP Stage 2 Heads and a few other mods on a 6.0 Iron Block, i was running a TR 236, but i felt it was to mild cam for my setup and i was giving up to much power. The car is not a daily driver and is pretty much only used at the track and a occasional local cruise or car show. I want to spray atleast 200 shot on it with direct port and work it up to possibly 300 shot.

What it comes down to is bang for the buck with a Nitrous setup. The prices are pretty similar between the two setups. Of course if i go with the fast intake it will have it ported and if i go with the sheet metal intake i will go 90 MM on the throttle body. Should have given more info.. Again thanks for your help on this.

I was really hoping the NX 85 mm intake would be out by now and go with that setup. But the cam should be here any day and the car needs to get back together, so i need to make a choice soon.
With your set up and that small of a cam the FAST 90 would be your best bet. I don't see anything you would gain from a sheet metal intake. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:41 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by Matt@HSW
Personally I think you might gain more from the Fast 90/90 intake. The sheet metal intakes are more geared for full out race cars. We have a solid roller 383 with a small street cam (263\272 .743"\.720" lift). We ended up going with the fast set up over the sheet metal intakes. If we were using a larger cam with a more race only set up then it might have been a different story.

How big of a shot do you plan on spraying?

Matt
What rpm range are you running? Also, do you have a great flowing head? Thanks, Andy
Old 09-20-2005, 04:24 PM
FormerVendor

Even with the larger cam I think your best bet would be to go with the Fast intake. Unless you're building a max effort set up you'll be leaving some power down low on the table. You might gain a little up top, but IMO, it's not worth the trade off.

You could do a 200 shot with a dual nozzle set up. But if you might step the shot up in size go with the direct port.

Matt

Old 09-20-2005, 04:31 PM
FormerVendor

Not too high, upper 7K. Heads are okay, I don't have the flow numbers in front of me, but around 350 at .700" on the intake. Big Stuff 3 stand alone and our single stage 400 shot DP controlled by our Edge controller. I hope to post up some numbers and build info within the month.

Matt

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
What rpm range are you running? Also, do you have a great flowing head? Thanks, Andy
Old 09-20-2005, 08:15 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by Matt@HSW
Not too high, upper 7K. Heads are okay, I don't have the flow numbers in front of me, but around 350 at .700" on the intake. Big Stuff 3 stand alone and our single stage 400 shot DP controlled by our Edge controller. I hope to post up some numbers and build info within the month.

Matt
Thanks, I'm having major rpm issues. I'm peaking HP at 6200! I think it's in the heads, I have a new set of Et perf heads on order. I've tried everything else. I just don't want to have a intake issue after I get the heads worked out. I'm only looking for 75-77 rpm. My duration is 275-286. I'm wondering if the fast 90 is going to hurt me? Thanks, Andy.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:04 PM
FormerVendor

How was the cam installed? You definatly have an issue going on. What heads are on it now and how many ci? Shoot me over a PM if you want to. Want to know a little more about your set up before I reccomend a intake.

Matt

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
Thanks, I'm having major rpm issues. I'm peaking HP at 6200! I think it's in the heads, I have a new set of Et perf heads on order. I've tried everything else. I just don't want to have a intake issue after I get the heads worked out. I'm only looking for 75-77 rpm. My duration is 275-286. I'm wondering if the fast 90 is going to hurt me? Thanks, Andy.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Before I went turbo I was running a 2 stage fogger on a sheetmetal intake. You should see a buddies car at the Thunder this year if you go, he is borrowing my intake and nitrous kit

Old 09-21-2005, 10:13 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very cool stuff, also i noticed the burst panels in pics, there are resettable ones now available as well just my .02
Old 09-22-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BTL FED
Before I went turbo I was running a 2 stage fogger on a sheetmetal intake. You should see a buddies car at the Thunder this year if you go, he is borrowing my intake and nitrous kit

Kyle,
Thunder has been postponed