Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: What am I doing wrong (stall/gear swap related)???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: What am I doing wrong (stall/gear swap related)???

Hey everyone. I just added to new mods to my car, a 3800 stall and a set of 3.73's and the car is NOT acting anywhere near normal like it should. I started it, it idled alright, things seemed ok, I let it warm up for 20 minutes. I went to put it in reverse, fine, I went to slowly put it in drive, and CLUNK! I tried driving it and i BARELY tapped the gas and I was at at least 3K rpm's already. I got pissed and put it right back in the garage and called it a day. Went back this morning, let it run for 10, put my foot on the brake, cycled through all the gears, spending probably 30 seconds in each one, then going back and seeing if it would grab R and D right away. Seemed OK. I put it back in R, went to back it out, and again, i was at like 3 grand, then when I left off, it stalled on me. It's strange....right away I'm up in the revs in any gear, yet it wants to die when as soon as I go. What am I doing wrong? Is the tranny fluid level? PLEASE HELP...I need it!
Adam
Old 09-21-2005, 12:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say something went wrong with your pump in the tranny....
Old 09-21-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What do you mean by "Wants to die"? As in, the motor just bogs as if it's going to stall or the trans doesn't move?
Old 09-21-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pete2k_Z28
What do you mean by "Wants to die"? As in, the motor just bogs as if it's going to stall or the trans doesn't move?
It feels more like the motor bogs. I'll go to drive it normally and the motor bogs until I give it a little more gas, then I'm at like 2K or 3K RPM, but not moving all that fast.

The tranny pump? The tranny only has 40K miles and has never been opened up and the only thing changed is the converter. Where in the tranny is that? I don't want to tear it apart.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say that you are not moving all that fast at 2k rpm, are you accelerating? A 3800 stall is not going to jump out of the hole at 2000 rpm, but at 3000 rpm should accelerate faster then the average sedan (being driven in a normal manner - not racing) when leaving a traffic light. If the pump were completely gone, it won't move at all or barely move at more than a few mph.

Sounds obvious, but do have the right fluid level and a clean filter?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

also obvious, but did u tune the computer for each?
Old 09-21-2005, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

If you can actually drive it then I would guess you didn't hurt the pump. If you broke it (converter not seated the whole way) it won't move.

Fluid could very well be the problem. You might have to add a few more times. Drive it, check fluid, add.....repeat. If you are really low on fluid the rpm's will be higher.

Tuning.....won't affect you like that. I drove around with my 4200 with ZERO tuning for 1 1/2 years.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jay_99z
If you can actually drive it then I would guess you didn't hurt the pump. If you broke it (converter not seated the whole way) it won't move.

Fluid could very well be the problem. You might have to add a few more times. Drive it, check fluid, add.....repeat. If you are really low on fluid the rpm's will be higher.

Tuning.....won't affect you like that. I drove around with my 4200 with ZERO tuning for 1 1/2 years.

i agree 100%.... should take a total of 9.5-11.5 qts from what ive heard.... but it should also run 3qts low... just not very well.. perhaps there is something u didn't plug back up ect ect...
Old 09-21-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00firebird
also obvious, but did u tune the computer for each?
I've since realized that that's what I am missing...I'm dumb. I tore it all apart and realized my alternator isn't keeping things charged. That could effect it too, correct?