Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec II or III

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spec II or III

I need this clutch to last at least 50k miles.

Mods in the future are lid, headers, ls6 intake, 150 n20

I already ran it at the track with cutout, ET streets and 75 shot and my stock clutch took a dump on me!

I had a Spec II in my camm'd LT1, it was in there 30k miles and was still holding strong when i sold it!

My? is...is the III too much for a daily driver and how long will each last?
Old 09-22-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd recommend the stage 3. I drove with stage 3F (iron disk - a little more pedal pressure) and that was fine for me as a daily driving clutch.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:37 AM
11 Second Club

How long did it last you? That is one of my major concerns.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

The stage 3 lasted the life of my car....

....that I slid sideways into two other cars. I don't think the clutch was damaged LOL

On a serious note, I get very positive comments about the stage 3 clutch from our customers.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bf has a spec 3 and I have a spec 2 that I just installed this evening. I like his spec 3, but only for a car that I would drive once a week (as he does). In my opinion I don't enjoy an on/off clutch in the heavy traffic I face on my way to work. The spec 2 is just a hint different over the stock clutch...have yet to race on it but it drives very nice without any chatter.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm still trying to understand if the stage III is a on/off clutch.
Some say it chatters, some say it's on/off, some other say it's like the stock...
Does it depends how you install it? How good you can drive a stick? Or are there different qualities under the same name "Spec stage III"?

I ask because I'm planning a tranny swap and I still haven't decided wich clutch.
It should be as close as possible to the stock one and hold the power I'm making.
It's a daily drive and I never go to the track.

keliente: are you happy with the stage II? Theoretically it should be fine with my HP...
Old 09-25-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

I never thought the stage 3 was an on/off clutch. The stage 5 I'm getting will be though The pedal had a stock feel to me. Driving style has lots to do with it also.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NLinnear
I never thought the stage 3 was an on/off clutch. The stage 5 I'm getting will be though The pedal had a stock feel to me. Driving style has lots to do with it also.
Before getting an automatic F-Body I drove stick cars for about 15 years. But they were all stock. I never replaced a clutch and every car had at least 100'000 miles before I sold them. So driving style should be fine in my case (I hope so!)

I asked just because I see so many different opinions about those Spec clutches. For those saying it's an on/off it's hard for me to understand if it's a lack of driving experience, a bad install / adjustement / line bleeding / ... or if it's a matter of fact that they are harder to drive than a stock.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

I meant that it is a harder clutch to drive than stock, there isn't a lot of give to it. It doesn't have anything to do with driving experience or the way it was installed...it's just a harder clutch than my spec 2.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

i don't care about how stock it feels...to be honest i don't like how the stock clutch feels...it feels really really mushy and too weak for me...i like a hard clutch pedal! The only main concern i have is longevity. I need it to last at the very least 30k miles....this will be including daily driving and trips to the strip about once a month!