Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Factory 12 Disc Changer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Factory 12 Disc Changer Questions

Not for "F bodies" but for a Grand Prix.

I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with the in-dash CD player and equalizer. Is it possible to hook up the GM 12 disc changer to this head-unit?

I added a 12 disc changer in my '01 WS6 without any problems, even had the changer harness already in the car. Just plug and play, everything perfect!

If I recall, for '98(?) and older you had to have the cassette head unit if you wanted the changer in the back but that this was changed in the middle of the '99 model year.
1999 1/2(?) and newer could use the CD head unit and the 12 disc changer. I wonder if the Grand Prix's were this way also?

The head unit in my GTP looks just like the one in my WS6 except it doesn't have "Monsoon" on it, other than that it looks identical.

This was the main reason I looked for a '00+ Grand Prix so I wouldn't run into this sort of conflict. I passed up a couple of '98s and a '99 because I figured that there would be a conflict with using a changer with the in-dash CD.

Sorry if this is confusing

Please don't suggest that I go aftermarket. I like the factory stereo and want to use the GM disc changer.

Any GM technicians out there that have had to deal with this problem?

I would really appreciate any assistance you can give me.

Thanks!!
Steven
Old 09-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

It should work fine. The GM changers came in basically three models at that time - one that mounted flat, one that mounted vertically (mostly for trucks), and one for the Corvette (don't know why it was different). They all used the 9-pin cable configuration and were manufactured for GM by Pioneer.

Quick Reply: Factory 12 Disc Changer Questions