Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good idea or waste of $$

Old 09-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good idea or waste of $$

I have a 98 WS6 A4 20k on the car and i recently lost my 2 gear (almost free revs, probably a slipping band). I think it is a combination of the car setting (drivin 500mi a year before me) and some over heating due to me living in Georgia, shift kit, no cooler, repeated launches. I am trying to figure out if i want to buy a rebuilt stock tranny or a built one. I plan on doing a bolt on car, maybe No2 in a bit but mostly want solid 12's. The place listed below was recommended to me by someone who builds F-bodies and buys manual trannies there. This is their high performance model, they also offer a sock rebuilt one. The "high" stall converter offered is 24-2800rpm. I want to do a converter while the tranny is out but dont want to spend like 3k(including fixin the trans). Is that going to be enough stall or a waste of $$? I dont know about another stock tranny after this one taking a crap. If i am going to buy one i want it to be good. Any suggestions on an affordable way to fix my car from someone with experience is appreciated. Thanks

Here
Old 09-21-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A stall is a good idea. I would look at a getting a real stall from one of our sponsors (Yank, TCI, fuddle or a PI bought through an LS1 shop). 2400 - 2800 is most likely a crappy rebuild of the stock unit or a truck unit. A 2800 - 3600 is the way to go.

I have a hard believing that 500 miles a year lead to your tranny failure. My guess would be the transgo kit is not installed correct or your line pressure is incorrect.

If you were going to skip the nitrous, I would do a conservative build. The stock 4l60 will live pretty long in a car with bolt-ons and a 3500 stall, so long as you have a good cooler. Good clutches and steels is all you probably need. If you are going to spray more than a 100 shot or spray the 100 shot regularly, a built tranny is in the cards.

I don't know that I would buy from a shop in not located within driving distance unless they had a solid reputation. The warranty is worthless because shipping costs and downtime will mean that you'll never send the tranny back to them if you have a problem. The fact that they have a good e-bay rating doesn't mean their tranny's are good, only that they ship their parts fast. I'm not saying the tranny isn't good; only that e-bay feedback isn't a great measure for a mechanical device like a tranny with a 12 month warranty.

Search this Thread