Brake Power Bleeders

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brake Power Bleeders

Hey do any of you gents or ladies have experience with one of these

Motive Power Bldeeder...
Features Custom cap to fit most late model GM cars and trucks. All bleeders come with a full 1 year warranty. Application Guide.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not seen this before but it looks handy. I assume you connect at the reservior and reverse bleed from the bottom up....
Old 09-22-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

yes....you pressurize the bottle which has the brake fluid in it...the cap goes over your master cylinder opening..when you open the valve on the brake caliper the pressure pushes the fluid thru your system to the opening..really seems like a one person job
Old 09-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I'm gonna be doing a brake job soon, I was thinking about getting this little piece of equipment...I like the idea of pressurizing the system this way vs. the Mityvac when it comes to the brakes.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Well how about for M6 wet clutch bleeding; does it have a bunch of cap attachements?

Where did you get this kool-tool?

Do you bleed the wheel closest to the master first?
Old 09-22-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Their site http://www.motiveproducts.com/02bleeders.html
Model GM POWER BLEEDER. Features Custom cap to fit most late model GM cars and trucks. All bleeders come with a full 1 year warranty. Application Guide. (Model 0108)

54 Bucks + shipping...
seen'em on Ebay as well priced about the same..I think it comes down ito shipping

Ylou can buy caps and there are some "Universal" caps.....I haddent thought about my trans.....Hmmmmmmm

Last edited by BitViper; 09-22-2005 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just used their model 0252 on a Vette this weekend. Worked great. We were not able to get a decent pedal with vacuum bleeding, drip bleeding or manual bleeding. Hooked up this pressure bleeder and we got a good pedal in about 15 minutes. Well worth the money.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:55 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't understand how this thing works differently than modifying a reservoir cap with an air line fitting. What pressure do you operate this thing at?
Old 09-23-2005, 07:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BJM
I don't understand how this thing works differently than modifying a reservoir cap with an air line fitting. What pressure do you operate this thing at?
Probably the main thing is that it is a complete unit, pump reservoir, adapter plates and fits numerous vehicles. If you use the modified reservoir cap, you limit use unless you purchase more caps, and you have to design/build a fluid reservoir and some type of air gauge and air supply. Basically, you find the recommended bleeding pressure in your service manual, we used 15 psi. You add fluid to the reservoir/pump assembly, attach the universal pressure plate to the top of the master cylinder pump up the pressure and proceed to bleed the calipers. You keep bleeding until the fluid runs clear and no air. Thats it.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:17 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I had not realized that the big tank had fluid in it, I thought it was just an air pressure reservoir.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's exactly how I do it. I just added a small fitting to my cap and sealed off the small vent slot in the cap underside and made another gasket so it seals tight. Then add air pressure of around 10-15psi and go crack open a bleeder at the caliper. Let it drizzle out until no more air and close the bleeder. Then disconnect the air supply.

Just need to keep an eye on the master cyl and keep it topped off as necessary. No need for an external reservoir. I completely change my fluid this way.

After your done remove the air fitting in the cap and install a plug or it may hit the hood when you close it.

If you already have a compressor and air regulator with a decent gauge this is a 2$ mod.

Steve
Old 09-23-2005, 06:39 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S_J_H
That's exactly how I do it. I just added a small fitting to my cap and sealed off the small vent slot in the cap underside and made another gasket so it seals tight. Then add air pressure of around 10-15psi and go crack open a bleeder at the caliper. Let it drizzle out until no more air and close the bleeder. Then disconnect the air supply.

Just need to keep an eye on the master cyl and keep it topped off as necessary. No need for an external reservoir. I completely change my fluid this way.

After your done remove the air fitting in the cap and install a plug or it may hit the hood when you close it.

If you already have a compressor and air regulator with a decent gauge this is a 2$ mod.

Steve
I started at the other end. I have a vacuum pump for pulling vacuum on A/C systems. I rigged it up to vacuum bleed for me. Worked great on previous cars. I tried on the Camaro and I guess something in the ABS prevented me from getting any fluid out of it. I wound up doing it the manual pumping method. I will try rigging up an air linenext time to the master cylinder, I wasn't keen on pressurizing the plastic master cylinder reservoir but it looks fairly tough.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

I have the Motul power bleeder. We used it on several vehicles, including my friend's ws6 Firebird, and it worked like a charm. just make sure that the brake pistons are all seated before you start pressurizing because it does not have enough *** to compress them. We made the mistake of tapping on the brake pedal to seat the pistons while the motul was under pressure. we ended up rupturing the clear tube on the motul and pressurized brake fluid started squirting out all over my buddy's motorcyle. Needless to say we got that bike out of the garage and washed in a hurry. If you follow the directions it works very well. You'll get a top quality bleed in no time flat without having to screw around with coordinating pedal presses and nipple turns.

Definitely worth the money!