Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How to do FMIC mounting of firebirds??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to do FMIC mounting on firebirds??

OK, been looking at several guys setups for mounting FMIC on firebirds (you camaro guys have it much better in that area), and it seems that most guys take out fog lights and/or license plate areas to get airflow to the IC. My question is has anybody done something that does not involve the above? I am researching for a turbo build next year and I really want my car to look stock (taking off front plate is not legal in IL anyway). I thought about trying to put 2 small IC right behind the fake brake ducts on my car, but have not seen this done before. Any ideas guys?

Last edited by bowtieman81; 09-22-2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Got this dilemma myself. I would love to read feedback on this. So far, I don't see any other way without the plate-cutout mod. Foglights? I refuse to give those up. Those I will retain somehow.

ttt
Old 09-22-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always pick up some twin ics from ati kits if your hp goals are not tremendoulsly high. I know of a few people selling them pretty cheap. You could try doing a fmic without any cutout for airflow but I don't see it working very well that way. Sometimes you just have to make provisions to get what you need. Sounds like though if your hell bent on not cutting using the twin IC's from ATI would be your ticket.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TTI FMIC from their street kit fits and the only mod is removal of the window washer resevoir and switching to a aluminum fabbed tank for the fluid. A guy just PM'd me the other day and said he is making 615 RWHP with this intercooler and Meth on 15# boost.

Airflow comes up from the street via airdam and passes through on its way to the condenser and radiator.

Its not comparable to the OBX setups we run but then again you dont have to cut out your whole front end either and you can keep your front energy absorber.

Just a thought.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Blackbird
You could always pick up some twin ics from ati kits if your hp goals are not tremendoulsly high. I know of a few people selling them pretty cheap. You could try doing a fmic without any cutout for airflow but I don't see it working very well that way. Sometimes you just have to make provisions to get what you need. Sounds like though if your hell bent on not cutting using the twin IC's from ATI would be your ticket.
Do you guys think it will work just as well for a turbo? I mean, as well as it doe with the Procharger, at least?
Old 09-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Banned

I just think seeing the intercooler from the front of the car is Sweet!

CMC
Old 09-22-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

It is, but damn, it sucks to have empty fog-light holes IMO. The front plate-cutout alone looks good, I think.

For a state that requires a front tag, I see the ATI twin-flows as the best option.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

fog lights can be retained.

put your plate on a spring loaded hinge. at speed it folds down and you get airflow to your ic, slow down plate pops back up.

simple as dat
Old 09-22-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Good idea Heath!
Old 09-22-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check this out. instead of doing the fog lights and licenceplate. I'm planning on this instead.
http://www.firebirdevolution.net/BODYKIT.html
Old 09-22-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heath, interesting idea. But, if its soft enough spring to open the hole at normal speeds then it doesnt help if your state requires a plate. If the cops see you driving along with no plate they will get you (all 3 times I have been nailed they got me while cruising around town, not parked). Likewise, if its too stiff to open at less than 80 mph whats the point?

WS6 2002, that looks cool but doesn't take care of the front plate thing, and eliminates the fog lights. You also won't be able to hide much with that huge IC sitting in the open.

I seem to remember reading in GMHTP about a Z06 vette that had 2 small intercoolers in the air duct openings. Wish I would have bought that mag now.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mount the licence plate to the plastic air dam.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Call me crazy but I love the way my FMIC looks. Car looks bad ***.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Throw the license plate on the front dash and bolt this on with any FMIC you choose:

http://firebirdevolution.net/BODYKIT.html

Now you're talkin' air flow.

EDIT: Ooops. Somebody beat me to it.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good ideas guys. But I am looking for a way to not cut the front of the car at all. I know it may not be possible, but thats why I am asking. I just love a sleeper car. Mine right now looks totally stock from the outside, even sounds near stock.

Hellraiser, that does look bad *** . Appreciate the info you have given me in PMs.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kept the foglights (modified the brackets) + used black mesh inside the license plate cover. This isn't the best shot but the trimming looks factory and you can still clearly see the intercooler. I don't have the car with me right now but I can put up other shots tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails How to do FMIC mounting of firebirds??-dscn2073.jpg  
Old 09-22-2005, 05:52 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WS-6_2002
Check this out. instead of doing the fog lights and licenceplate. I'm planning on this instead.
http://www.firebirdevolution.net/BODYKIT.html

If you do this, what the hell do you do with your plate?
Old 09-22-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blackbird
fog lights can be retained.

put your plate on a spring loaded hinge. at speed it folds down and you get airflow to your ic, slow down plate pops back up.

simple as dat
that is a dayum good idea , i really like that BRAVO BRAAAVOOO
Old 09-22-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

For street use you want air cooling your intercooler after every time you use it. The spring-loaded license plate idea is cool, but you'd need it to open for anything above about 20 to get the max cooling time. How about a solenoid or vacuum operated license plate tilter? That way you could set up a switch for 2 or 3 modes (open, closed, auto-open(mph?)).

I like the look of a FMIC too, but I put screen in front of mine. One good rock, like one of those they use next to the railroad tracks, and your expensive intercooler would be seriously crunched . On a MAP system you'd have no boost, and on a MAF system you might be stranded... depending on where the MAF is.

The idea of having an intercooler and no airflow is just dumb.

How about an air-to-water setup? Then you could put the heat exchanger(s) in the rear somewhere... I don't know if the fbird has enough room under the hood though.

Jim
Old 09-22-2005, 09:07 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DeltaT

.... How about a solenoid or vacuum operated license plate tilter? That way you could set up a switch for 2 or 3 modes (open, closed, auto-open(mph?)).....

Jim
It's a great idea.... but I don't wanna be called a copy-cat, check out Adam's car:

He has an actuator to tilt it. Looks great... if I lived in another place I would do it too

edit:
Check out the link in my sig for video of this bad *** car at MIR last sat... multimedia section. Check out MightyMouse's rocket pass in the same section
Attached Thumbnails How to do FMIC mounting of firebirds??-adam1.jpg   How to do FMIC mounting of firebirds??-adam2.jpg