Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! how could I fry another??

Old 09-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! how could I fry another??

OK, bought the car awhile back with 35,000 miles, after about 5000 miles from me, the stock 4l60e went belly up, I lost first and reverse, and it was almost impossible to drive the car, fryed tranny, for sure. everybody told me it was from shifting my car "manually", so after I bought a TeamTripp racing tranny with a 3200 stall, I made it a point to NEVER shift manually (except in-between D and OD, like going on or off the freeway etc..)

OK, that was back when, fast forward to late this summer, I have put about 7 or 8000 EASY miles on this tranny, I have not sprayed the new tranny, and I have not changed the tranny fluid. now the tranny makes a horrible noise at about 1500 rpm's. if I give more gas, the converter will flash up to about 2000 or so, and there is no noise from that point up. the car does nothing odd, it just sounds like automotive hell from under the car.

so what do you think, did I somehow frag this ?new? tranny? If so, could there be another problem that is costing me tranny's? do you think maybe it might be the converter itself? should I have changed the tranny fluid in the first 5000 miles? what am I doing wrong with these A4's? It's quite upsetting that after $2000 in work, I still can't spray this car w/ the converter to find a good time.

p.s., I don't know if it matters, but it happens in 2-4 only, I have not noticed the noise in first gear, but when I pull away from a stop it is almost always above 1500 rpm's.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe the lockup clutch in the converter is going. Are you using the same converter that was in when you fried the first trans? If so, that is a problem. You should have had it sent out to be rebuilt and get all the junk from the old tranny out of it.

Have you checked out your trans mount? Could be a severely worn, or even torn mount. I have a poly mount in right now, and right at about 1500 rpms part throttle, I can HEAR vibrations down there. I'm guessing it's cause the mount is 'giving' less than stock thus x-ferring vibrations into the cabin. But if you hear clunking and rattling, it could be a bad mount.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Another reason it could be the lockup clutch is because lockup doesn't occur in 1st gear, that could by why you don't hear any noise. If the sound happens in 3rd and 4th gear only, it's probably the lockup clutch going bad.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Launching!

no no, the converter was new, bought and installed along with the tranny. the problem occurs only under load (uphill, heavy acceleration, etc..) it performs great all other times.

how can I check the tranny mount, I could see a tear or other obvious damage, but how can I tell if it is worn?

I might mention that the tranny has always "clunked" hard while shifting at no-power times, off the gas, downhill, letting off the gas etc., it shifts great under power though. I contacted tripp when this started and they told me it was due to excessive backlash or "play" in the rearend. they said it was the pinion hitting the backside of the ring gear.

any more suggestions??
Old 09-24-2005, 08:03 AM
TECH Regular

Do you have any aftermarket coolers on the tranny or are you monitoring tranny temp in any way? Heat is a killer in these things... I've toasted a tranny in 3 months (stock convertor and stock tranny) from the heat buildup just driving it to work and back everyday, no track passes at all.

I'm not sure that heat is your issue, but it might be worth looking into as being the cause of the problems.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Well, you're car is approaching it's 8th birthday and I'm guessing you've got close to 70k on the stock tranny mount. I'd replace the stock trans mount regardless of whether or not it is the problem. But the clunking around could definitely be a bad tranny mount.

When you say "clunked hard", can you fell it under your arm on the console? If your tranny mount is bad, you'll "feel" the clunking. I'd change the mount first (cost you roughly $25 for a stock replacement, or $45 for a poly one.)
Old 09-24-2005, 05:08 PM
Launching!

70k?? no, the car has 42,000 miles on it now. when they did the tranny swap, they installed a cooler as well. the clunking noise can't be felt...

any suggestions??

( I will replace the mount though!!)

Search this Thread